Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Calling ALL CFI's ....Double I's and all...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
He says if you leave the flaps in the extended positions during the roll to a stop, it will cause you to skid.......I questioned this.
?? How did you question this?...did you question the instructor? That's what I want to know.

Maybe he is trying to teach you something. What he says is true,.. well, the lowered flaps will cause a slower reduction of lift causing a longer period of roll-out time in transitioning the weight from the wings to the wheels, which could be slippery.

Oh, sure, what everyone is saying about habits is true,..but, in fact, raising the flaps immediately will provide better braking. Fact.

He is either young & inexperienced and has not heard all of the above reasons why you should not raise the flaps on roll-out, or he is old school..really old school, and has not heard all the above reasons.

In the old manual flap 172's (late 50's/early60's), with the long flap handle between the seats, you could gradually ease up the flaps as you braked for max efficiency. But that was a different handle...not like a gear handle on the panel.

Last edited:
The only time I've heard of retracting flaps during the landing roll is if you are doing a short field landing. For normal landing I was taught and taught my students to wait until the aircraft is clear of the runway to "clean up" the airplane.

For what it's worth, I've heard this too. However, in the C-172 (in which I did the majority of my instructing) it takes the electric motors so long to retract the flaps that the airplane was usually stopped before they were fully retracted, and it didn't make much difference in the actual landing roll distance. I could see retracting the flaps at touchdown in a manually actuated system being more effective, but I wouldn't let my students do it... Better to take 50 extra feet of landing roll than hit the wrong lever and retract the landing gear or something like that (if the squat switch was malfunctioning... I guess it could happen.)

And the only time I've seen an actual skid was when my student landed with the brakes on. I think that's more of a "footwork" issue than a "flaps" issue. :)

-Goose

And the only time I've seen an actual skid was when my student landed with the brakes on. I think that's more of a "footwork" issue than a "flaps" issue. :)
It's both. It's a skill that has been lost. In the old days, manually retracting flaps as you apply brake pressure was the technique. That was back in the old tailwheel days, too, when too much braking or braking too much with flaps down might cause a nose-over.

In those days, GA wasn't too much about retracts, but since some folks have not been able to keep up with where the gear and flap handle are, we have downplayed this technique as dangerous.

Still, it is the most effective technique for the most shortest landing roll, and sometimes, in an emergency, a few feet can make all the difference between life and death.

It's both. It's a skill that has been lost. In the old days, manually retracting flaps as you apply brake pressure was the technique. That was back in the old tailwheel days, too, when too much braking or braking too much with flaps down might cause a nose-over.

That's good to know--I hadn't heard that about the braking with flaps in on a taildragger. All of my tailwheel time is the in the "flapless" variety, so naturally I'd come to the conclusion that it was "footwork" only. :)

In those days, GA wasn't too much about retracts, but since some folks have not been able to keep up with where the gear and flap handle are, we have downplayed this technique as dangerous.

Well, I would agree that the potential for a on-runway gear retraction is probably over-played. I think it's worth at least a thought though. Perhaps if one always visually verified what they were touching, then there wouldn't be much problem at all--just a quick look, that's all it would take.

Still, it is the most effective technique for the most shortest landing roll, and sometimes, in an emergency, a few feet can make all the difference between life and death.

Agreed.

-Goose

Last edited:

Sometimes when I'm driving too fast and unexpectedly need to stop really short, I shift my gear from D to N. This helps shorten your stopping distance.

BTW, we used to see how short one could land and still make it off the first turnoff. Fun stuff that hones your skills in pitch and airspeed control.

With almost 1000 hours of tailwheel time in a pretty wide variety of types, the only one that I would ever retract the flaps during the landing roll with was the T-6, and then only on short runways. It is a unique airplane, though in a lot of ways in terms of ground handling. And it has split flaps that hang down just matter of inches from the ground, which caused lots of compressibility and kept the wing flying far too long to get the tail pinned effectively if you were trying to brake. I don't know of a single other taildragger that I would choose to do this with.

As a matter of fact, a Super Cub will make a DRAMATIC turn for the barn if you snatch the flaps up during a landing roll. And if you didn't know this going in you could get yourself in to a situation that had your feet/heels working hard to keep you going ahead.

Another good reason to just stay configured until the job is done.

Clean up once you are clear of the runway, crossing the line. That is clear of the runway. At the 121 level, that is what we do, and if we have an observation ride or a line check, and they touch anything before then, slap on the hand! Fly the plane first always! One thing at a time, never be in a hurry. That is what I taught when I instructed, and none of the students I sent on rides, ever had an inspector say anything to the contrary.

Latest resources

Back