Call signs?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Joseph = JOSA

..Joseph is the Air Force's call sign for the C-21s (Gates Lear Jets) cargo and passenger airlift planes.

I've never heard anyone with the actual callsign of "Joseph". C-21s use several callsigns. It depends on who we're supporting (I'm a C-21 instructor pilot).

What you actually heard was probably the callsign "JOSA", which is based on the acronym JOSAC. JOSAC is the Joint Operational Support Airlift Center based at Scott AFB, IL.

I've had controllers screw up our callsign often....typical ones I hear are "Joseph", "Jose", "Hosa" and "Jossa". Most of them get it right after we repeat our correct callsign, but some are slow learners.

JOSA is always followed by a 3-digit number (ie JOSA 791).

If a C-21 is supporting TACC (Tanker Airlift Control Center....ie a cargo run versus pax run), the callsign is REACH (used by all TACC aircraft).

If the mission is for training or some unit-sponsored flight, the crew will use the unit's static callsign. The 457th Airlift Squadron, based out of Andrews AFB, Maxwell AFB, Wright-Patterson AFB and Langely AFB all use PACER. Our unit (Maxwell) uses PACER 50 through PACER 59.

The 458th Airlift Squadron out of Scott AFB uses SWIFT, and other C-21 callsigns include CLOVER. There are a couple more but I'm not sure what they are.

Others...

PAT is the Army callsign for its UC-35s and C-12s running JOSAC missions. The only other one that readily comes to mind is EASY, which is the Marine Reserve's UC-35 out of New Orleans.

sydeseet said:
United.....was it a female voice? (I know, I know, but it was sooooo easy)

"Justice" is the US Dept. of Justice (corrections) flying prisoners around in 727s. Great show about them on Discovery or Learning Channel if you can catch it.
I flew a hurricane relief mission to Beaumont KBTP today. There were a bunch of these plain white B737s using the "Justice" call sign. I saw a prison near the airport, I wonder if the guests had been evacuated and Club Fed was returning them home.

what is "Go-JEts"?

Anyone know who "ASCOT" is?

I figure it's probably some part of the RAF, as they usually have a british accent.

Hooker

Fying into Seattle, you might hear "Hooker". It is the Army Reserve CH-47 unit out of Ft. Lewis, The Hookers. CH-47 Chinook became Sh#t Hook became Hook, thus the name "Hookers".

Hooker 24

ILLINI said:
Some time ago somebody posted a website that contained several airline and cargo company call signs (121 & 135). Does anyone still have that website or any others? If so please post them here or send me a PM.

Thanks
I

You can decode and encode what you hear on this site. You won't find military callsigns in this publication though unless it's really generic like REACH which is AMC.

http://www.faa.gov/atpubs/CNT/3-3.htm

Mystic???I believe it is some military designation.

Latest resources

Back