"Call Sign Confusion"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
DorkProp said:
Before the days of Independence (the airline, not 1776), we Bluestreakers were often confused with Blueridge. Now we're mostly confused with Jetlink, since our ATC code is JS. Not too long ago there was a short-lived push by some guys here to change our call-sign. But the overwhelming consensus from the pilots was to keep the call-sign and continue to deal with the confusion.
Actually, your ATC code is JIA. Where they come up with that one I don't know, but I can see where it could easily be confused with "Jetlink". ExpressJet's ICAO Identifier is actually BTA, from the Brit Air certificate that they still operate under.

CONFUSION. I like it. It has a certain ring. I think it would be a great call sign for the GO on Virginia Ave.

79%N1 said:
Not only that, but NO controller west of the Mississippi can figure out what our callsign is! The popular one out there is Candle Air. 8 out of ten times this is what we are called. If not, then Chandler, Canadair, or Chandaler.......

Maybe someday you'll be called "Chandler Bing". Keep an ear open!

I don't know how many Chicago controllers call us "skyway-ex" instead of Skywest. When we were handed off to MKE controllers one foggy day inbound to ORD, I needed to clarify that he indeed knew we were SkyWEST going to Chicago.

Had an OAK center controller get a little pissy when I didn't respond to her numerous calls for Southwest [our flight number] instead of Skywest.

I heard an LA controller call Candle Air a couple weeks back... chuckled a little over that one (by no means at ASA's expense- just been there, done that!!).

It's a good thing America West uses "Cactus"... too many -west callsigns already!

Asa Candler was a druggist in Atlanta during the late 1800's (yes, his first name really was "Asa"). He aquired Coca-Cola from its founders in 1889 and turned a little known beverage into the most popular soft drink in the world. When you went to the school in Atlanta that he sent a heck of a lot of money to you learn this kind of useless information.

ClearRight said:
I don't know how many Chicago controllers call us "skyway-ex" instead of Skywest. When we were handed off to MKE controllers one foggy day inbound to ORD, I needed to clarify that he indeed knew we were SkyWEST going to Chicago.

I think this is a big problem since you guys started flying out to the midwest. All Skyway numbers start with a 2 and it seems like all yours start with a 6, so not too much of a problem.

One glaringly bad example thought is in BNA, where you guys have a flight 6**6 and we have a 26*6...(can't remember the exact numbers). One time my FO answered a call to go into position on the center runway, when it was really for the skywest flight on the right side.

I know that Skyway has changed it's flight numbers for conflicts in our own system. They thought it was a good idea to have all the imbound MKE flights in the morning had flight numbers 1230, 1030, 1130, etc... Hopefully there will be thought to changing the numbers that conflict (albeit somewhat) with you guys.

I understand what you are going through. Just to add to the humor. We AirNet guys get a chuckle every now and then when our callsign "Starcheck" is mistakenly pronounced "StarTrek" by controllers. We might descend like the space shuttle, put we are not from outer space. :)

usc328

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back