• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

"Call Sign Confusion"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I wonder if DHL guys get called "Delta" or "Lufthansa" very often. Delta is DAL, Lufthansa is DLH.

DHL1412
DAL1412
DLH1412

They all look alike on a small datatag on a cluttered radar scope that looks something like this:

DHL1412
350T330
345 550

Imagine 20 of those on your screen with different numbers to keep straight. I have tremendous respect for controllers and the work that they do. It takes incredible talent.

Last edited:
It's not just the call signs. It is the flight numbers as well. Here at ExpressJet we have been dealing with poor foresight in assigning flight numbers into and out of the hubs. They assign flight numbers that are so similar sounding in the same bank it is ridiculous. Everyone here knows how bad it is and I have filed ASAP reports about it.

I am pretty curious how XJT got the "Jetlink" call sign. Its a cool callsign, but they have been using it since before they ever had any jets!

I just want our original call sign back and was looking for reasons to get it changed. No we shouldn't ask for it in the contract.

GO AROUND said:
I just want our original call sign back and was looking for reasons to get it changed. No we shouldn't ask for it in the contract.

Come on, let's get creative. We've already had ACEY. Let's go with something like "crew delay" or "copy dat" or "After School Airline".

FmrFreightDog said:
Or you could all just pay attention. If this is the worst thing you have to worry about then you worry too much.

I agree. I hear mistakes daily out there by controllers calling us "Jetlink" or even "JetBlue."

ATC: "Jetlink 2236, descend and maintain FL190."

AC: "You mean Bluestreak 2236?"

ATC: "Oh yeah, sorry, Bluestreak 2236 descend and maintain FL190."

CF34-3B1 said:
Maybe we can make bringing back "Acey" a contract negotiating item.

WHY DON'T YOU GUYS JUST GET IT OVER WITH AND CHANGE IT TO SKYWEST? CAUSE A LITTLE BIRDY SAYS THE CHECK IS IN THE MAIL.

propsarebest said:
WHY DON'T YOU GUYS JUST GET IT OVER WITH AND CHANGE IT TO SKYWEST? CAUSE A LITTLE BIRDY SAYS THE CHECK IS IN THE MAIL.

Now THAT is funny!!!

Ted Striker said:
Come on, let's get creative. We've already had ACEY. Let's go with something like "crew delay" or "copy dat" or "After School Airline".

How about "Roger dat"

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back