"Call Sign Confusion"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Camel Hair ??????

When we first started going into PHX a controller called us "camel hair". I thought that was cool.

Paying attention is not the problem. ATC, even in ATL but especially CVG, calls ASA COMAIR instead of Candler. I don't acknowledge when they call me CMR or I query if that was for Candler...often the controller catches his/her error and comes back with 'Candler'. Ought to be changed.

The call sign Candler is just another example of the Kremlin (the G/O) making one of their boneheaded decisions without employees input. Heck even a call sign 'ASA 345' would be an improvement over 'Candler'!

ZAU Center has a controller named "Roger", very talkative. Crews (most obviously) not aware of this engaged in some interesting transmissions. (You hear "what" or "go ahead" or something in reply to a "Roger").

ClearRight said:
I don't know how many Chicago controllers call us "skyway-ex" instead of Skywest.

LOL, this from the guys that almost universally mutter "skyx," or "skicks," or maybe "skst" followed by lots of random digits when pronouncing their own callsign.

GO AROUND said:
I just want our original call sign back and was looking for reasons to get it changed. No we shouldn't ask for it in the contract.

I was kidding, I certainly didn't think anyone would think I was seriously suggesting we ask for something like that in negotiations.

SkyBoy1981 said:
Actually, your ATC code is JIA. Where they come up with that one I don't know, but I can see where it could easily be confused with "Jetlink". ExpressJet's ICAO Identifier is actually BTA, from the Brit Air certificate that they still operate under.

Actually, the BTA identifier comes from Britt Airways, not Brit Airways. Brit Airways is a British airline, and Britt Airways was a Terre Haute, Indiana based commuter airline. Britt was purchased by People Express, who was purchased by Continental. Hence there transformation into Continental Express.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=191962&WxsIERv=Snvepuvyq%20Uvyyre%20SU-227&WdsYXMg=Oevgg%20Nvejnlf&QtODMg=Fbhgu%20Oraq%20-%20%28Zvpuvnan%29%20Ertvbany%20%28Fg.%20Wbfrcu%20Pbhagl%29%20%28FOA%20%2F%20XFOA%29&ERDLTkt=HFN%20-%20Vaqvnan&ktODMp=Nhthfg%2018%2C%201983&BP=1&WNEb25u=Rqhneq%20Znezrg&xsIERvdWdsY=A377AR&MgTUQtODMgKE=%28pa%20510%29%20%3B%20%3ERZ83&YXMgTUQtODMgKERD=446&NEb25uZWxs=2001-10-02%2000%3A00%3A00&ODJ9dvCE=&O89Dcjdg=&static=yes&sok=JURER%20%20%28ZNGPU%20%28nvepensg%2Cnveyvar%2Ccynpr%2Ccubgb_qngr%2Cpbhagel%2Cerznex%2Ccubgbtencure%2Crznvy%2Clrne%2Cert%2Cnvepensg_trarevp%2Cpa%2Cpbqr%29%20NTNVAFG%20%28%27%2B%22oevgg%22%20%2B%22nvejnlf%22%27%20VA%20OBBYRNA%20ZBQR%29%29%20%20BEQRE%20OL%20cubgb_vq%20QRFP&photo_nr=4&prev_id=215500&next_id=191961

Yeah, I was aware it had nothing to do with any UK based carriers, I just mispelled the name. My understanding was the guy's last name was Britt. Interesting pic.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back