• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL/UAL merger statistics

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am absolutely serious. Vice versa my opinion would not change.

Why should people at a nearly bankrupt airline (UAL) go ahead of people at a semi-successful company (CAL)?

One more bankruptcy and the UAL guys will be down to CAL career expectations according to your thinking.

You are another one of these tools that thinks that somehow your superior airmanship is part of what makes CAL "more successful" than UAL.

WAKE UP DUDE! The only difference between the profitability of these two airlines is that one is being robbed at the moment. A Continental guy who reads any history should understand that better than anyone.

Oh, by the way, thanks for sharing Prater with the rest of us. You guys must have some real peaches there if that's who you elected MEC chairman.

PIPE

The CAL crews i've talked to, the majority don't want this to happen, but in the same breath they also say they hope everything goes smoothly if it does. I take that as they don't want to screw their brothers ans sisters over at UAL.Fair and equitable I guess, whatever that means.

The reality will probably be that the career expecations at both carriers will be similar by the time a merger is announced.
There are always a few that want a windfall from whatever SLI methodology they champion(especially the DOH guys), but for the most part, everyone I speak to would be content with something similar to relative seniority. I know that's too simplistic and not exactlty how it works but in the end that's probably the closest approximation of "fairness".

Last edited:
Relative seniority is good. But no way should a 757 FO at CAL be junior to any 737 or Airbus FO at UAL.

Relative seniority is good. But no way should a 757 FO at CAL be junior to any 737 or Airbus FO at UAL.

The equipment that you're in is irrelevant with regards to seniority. I'm beginning to think that your posts aren't serious. Jmho.

Why?

There are 75 FO's that are junior to 73 FO's at CAL.

There are 73 CA's that are junior to 73 FO's and 75 FO's and 77 FO's.

Your blanket statement is inflamatory and too simplistic.

Your (relative) seniority determines what you can hold. If a west coast based SNB position is senior to an EWR 757 FO than so be it.

I don't think you are actually at CO, I think you are a troll. But for the sake of argument, let's say you are. Once again for the slow people in the room (ie SFR):

Expectations from 6 months ago mean nothing. Zero. Zilch. Not from CO, and not from UA. Everything is a new world.

If you want to use career expectiations from the past, fine, we can all pick and choose.

You can choose:

CO pilot's expectations from the 1 year ago (good), and a UA pilot's expectations from 2003 (terrible).

But wait, I get to choose too:

I pick my old expectations from 1999 (wow those are good memories! 747-400's to new hires...), and I pick a CO pilot's expectations from say the first or second BK (not so good).

Now, we just have to get an arbitrator to decide which historical fantasy world to use...

Get the idea? None of the above is going to happen! We have good MEC people at BOTH companies working hard right now to make sure neither side gets boned. If it ever got to arbitration, which I hope it doesn't, he/she isn't going to use best case (for SFR) historical model. The arbitrator will use the world on the day of arbitration, a world of $130 barrel oil, where aircraft orders may be more of a liability than an asset, where we are all losing our shirts, a world where ALL our career expectations suck.

If UA/CO merge, we will work it out just fine. No thanks to SFR though.

You guys are arguing with a troll who does not fly for either carrier.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back