Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL SCOPE meaningless if not able to defend it!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah, let's give up and let management do whatever they want. Let's become the abortion like USAPA. In-house like SWA? Oh wait, those nice little in house unions like APA and SWAPA come to ALPA for some resources.

Really. What's the solution?

Usapa has proven itself- a quantum leap above the fat-cat ALPO club WHICH GAVE SCOPE AWAY!!!
Let's take United, who handed the contract over to the pilots which resulted in massive furloughs? I'll give you a hint- it was the same group which did the exact same thing at USAirways!
Want another example? How about Northwest? Look what happened to their scope! There was and is no reason to give up scope. But ALPo sure has benefitted from the regional dues coming in. Kinda a conflict of interest don't ya think? It takes an independent union with independent resolve to fix this- just like what the USAir pilots did to protect seniority. Scope is no different!!!

CAL has crap post 911 pay rates, no work rules, and poor benefits with high employee costs. CAL ALPA has been unsuccessful in renegotiating an expired concessionary deal and takes whatever management dishes out.

CAL ALPA has a regional jet contract.

For the reading impaired such as Ex737pilot let me clarify.

1) "CAL has crap post 911 pay rates"- means CAL 777's pay cap is $189 an hour when it should be over $250 an hour plus.

2) "No work rules"- CAL pilots think soft time is sitting on reserve not flying. CAL pilots have no idea what duty rigs are, soft pay is, or what a contract should and has in the past for other carriers been about.

3)"Poor benefits with high employee cost"- Health insurance, prescription drug insurance, life insurance, disability insurance, and retirement programs should all be ZERO cost to the employee with a benefit comparable to Fortune 100 companies.

CAL pilots flying a B777 who make less than SWA pilots flying 737's, working for every hour of pay and even working for free when duties require work without pay, and who pay the company over $500 per month for inferior benefits and fund their own retirement out of pocket are working at REGIONAL contract standards.

But most CAL pilots do not understand what was just said and will argue till blue in the face after 27 years of taking what they are given.

For the reading impaired such as Ex737pilot let me clarify.

1) "CAL has crap post 911 pay rates"- means CAL 777's pay cap is $189 an hour when it should be over $250 an hour plus.

2) "No work rules"- CAL pilots think soft time is sitting on reserve not flying. CAL pilots have no idea what duty rigs are, soft pay is, or what a contract should and has in the past for other carriers been about.

3)"Poor benefits with high employee cost"- Health insurance, prescription drug insurance, life insurance, disability insurance, and retirement programs should all be ZERO cost to the employee with a benefit comparable to Fortune 100 companies.

CAL pilots flying a B777 who make less than SWA pilots flying 737's, working for every hour of pay and even working for free when duties require work without pay, and who pay the company over $500 per month for inferior benefits and fund their own retirement out of pocket are working at REGIONAL contract standards.

But most CAL pilots do not understand what was just said and will argue till blue in the face after 27 years of taking what they are given.

Why did you even apply to CAL? Sounds like you should have went to SWA so you can fly all the time.

I have a simple answer to your points and they are good points btw. The simple truth is that pay for this job has declined. The industry has drifted towards lower pay, our buying power as a pilot is probably half of what it was for a pilot in the 1980s for same seat/year.

My point, make the system work for YOU. There are so many ways to make money outside of flying in this new economy that you need to grasp those and build a nest egg outside of the cockpit. Do what lifehouse says, "Whatever it takes".

Only then will you be satisfied and at peace....

While I would love to have all of these at zero cost, I've got news for you. My wife is an executive at a Fortune 50 company, We pay part of health, prescription (and its a drug company), life, and disability insurance costs. She has a DB plan, and a 401k with matching, so it's a hybrid plan.

Times they are a changin.

While I would love to have all of these at zero cost, I've got news for you. My wife is an executive at a Fortune 50 company, We pay part of health, prescription (and its a drug company), life, and disability insurance costs. She has a DB plan, and a 401k with matching, so it's a hybrid plan.

Times they are a changin.

Yup, thanks for the dose of reality. I actually wish that we would strike at CAL, I am curious to see what most of the pilots do for money. I would guess that 70% would be broke within 2 months.

CAL pilots are management wannabe's.

I want .... but .....

But, but, but is the reason a CAL pilot will never be a real unionist.

Past free benefits and pay did not happen because the pilots tried to understand managements positions by playing the devils advocate.

I want .... but .....

Not this CAL pilot you jacka$$.

I've looked through your recent posting history and it seems like every post you make is on a CAL related thread and you're bashing CAL pilots. WTF? Why so much hate? Did you interview and get shot down? Are you PoconoPilot with a new screen name? Quit painting all CAL pilots with such a broad and negative brush. Rip on the scabs if you like, but I for one want a real contract and am ready for a strike to get it.

Not this CAL pilot you jacka$$.

I've looked through your recent posting history and it seems like every post you make is on a CAL related thread and you're bashing CAL pilots. WTF? Why so much hate? Did you interview and get shot down? Are you PoconoPilot with a new screen name? Quit painting all CAL pilots with such a broad and negative brush. Rip on the scabs if you like, but I for one want a real contract and am ready for a strike to get it.

+1. Ready to walk.

I want .... but .....

Past free benefits and pay did not happen because the pilots tried to understand managements positions by playing the devils advocate.

Good morning genius.

You are the one who brought up all the "free bennies" fortune 100 companies give out. I was merely stating my experience with this. They are not "free" anymore, even for the execs. I do expect to have bennies equal to or better than what my wife currently has, a 50% or better pay (hourly) raise, and industry leading work rules.

I am ready, willing, and able to go out on strike for as long as necessary to achieve these goals.

Latest resources

Back