• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL rumors......

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No I don't work at CAL. I live in Houston and my best friend works there along with about 5 other people I know, and they all tell me the same thing. My best friend has been spending a bunch of time at the corporate offices lately and hears things. I've known him many years, he lives next door to me in Houston, and is the primary guy that is going to be trying to get me on.

I believe him. Just by pure logic, all the gloom and doom, to me, is bull$hit. I'll bet you any amount of money that CAL is going to turn a nice profit this summer if oil stays where it is. Profit=no more excuses, which is all they've got for furloughing 150 guys. I mean, just use plain simple logic. Do you really think that furloughing 150 of the lowest paid pilots in the company is actually going to HELP? REALLY? In the big scheme of things? I mean let's be REALLY generous and say each of those guys is worth $50K a year including benefits. Do the math, that's a savings of $7.5 million bucks if they are gone for an entire year. Do you really think that a $7.5 million dollar savings over an entire year is going to make a dent in their balance sheet? That's 1.875 million a quarter. What are the operating revenues of the company? Is that $7.5 million dollars going to cover all the retraining costs, relocating costs, and extra overtime being paid to cover the flying by these furloughed guys, not to mention the costs of getting the guys current again? NO WAY!!

I've said repeatedly that this is what I've cosistently heard from the many people I know that work there, and it just makes sense. I expect everyone back by this fall and possible hiring by the end of the year. On top of that, once the age 65 rule catches up and the retirements start, CAL will be hiring like holy hell. That's still a couple to 3 years away, but anyone that gets hired before that will be standing in tall cotton watching their seniority go up fast. :)

CAL will be the place to be in a few years, I honestly believe that. That's why I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for the best.

i certainly wish you the best of luck at getting hired here at the beginning of the next wave, whenever that might be. i hope you are right on recalls as well, but i will consider myself lucky (as pathetic as that sounds) to be recalled by spring of 2010. i think the airline is understaffed as it always has been, but i think as far as management goes we are currently properly staffed, there are plenty of guys who will stab the pilot group in the back to make a quick buck, and i hope Karma returns the favor to them. i agree with you that CAL SHOULD be a great place as far as movement goes over the next 5-7 years, but throw in a merger with UAL and there goes all of that. lets hope for anyone hoping to get on at CAL and for everyone already there that the merger never happens.

yeah, that's true skywdriver, the merger will screw the hell out of everything if it happens, but take a look at past history....if it does happen, it's not going to happen fast. Looking at what happend with Delta/NWA and UsAir/America Worst, if a merger were announced tomorrow, it'd be 1.5 to 2 years at least, (probably) before the pilot groups were integrated and all the legal gobbeldygook and crap were worked out.

As far as the merger goes, my buddy doesn't know much about that. He hears 'no way in hell' from some people and 'maybe' from some people. Nobody is saying it's going to happen for sure. He doesn't think it's going to happen because United is in such piss poor shape that CAL would be idiots to take on the mess that they are. But that's just pure opinion. As for facts, I don't know and neither does he. Hell, we don't even have some substantiated rumors.

But as far as the recalls go, only time will tell. I just see them happening this year because it just makes plain ol' sense. You guys should never have been furloughed in the first place. A 150 person $7.5 million dollar saving furlough in the face of a $351 million dollar operating loss last year (and that is NOT including special items) is like pissing on a forest fire. It just makes no sense to even bother with the effort. If they had furloughed 3000 guys like United, then that might actually make a difference, but CAL management isn't THAT stupid. They still have to run an airline, and they're having enough trouble covering flights as it is. The furlough was for contract posturing, pure and simple. I mean hell, didn't they offer you guys a TA RIGHT AFTER THE FURLOUGH spewing some bull$hit about 'well if you guys accept this than we won't have to furlough."? The union didn't take the bait, so now the company is keeping you guys on the street simply to play negotiation games. If the company recalled you before they were absolutely desperate then they would have to admit it was bull$hit.

I think you'll be back by the end of fall at the latest. I hope like hell you are. It's already been confirmed that the 'new hire pool' letters WERE sent out. The company knows what they're doing, they're just trying to polish the turd that was this furlough as much as they can. I'd bet a cold beer on it any day.

EDIT: I smell a bet coming. LOL I'll bet anybody on this board a bottle of Crown Royal the CAL furloughees will be back by end of fall this year. :)

Last edited:
I heard yesterday that around 200 guys put in retirement paperwork. There's is a herd mentality in play here; If a bunch of them go they will all go, and if one of them then pulls paperwork most of them will do the same.

Recent Houston weather effects on the operation suggest to me this will be one of our worst summers ever. We have no margin for error in pilot staffing. VJM can't shore up the need here if 20 pilots retire before July, let alone 200. More pilots have learned how bad VJM is and I believe there will be less of it

Last edited:
EDIT: I smell a bet coming. LOL I'll bet anybody on this board a bottle of Crown Royal the CAL furloughees will be back by end of fall this year. :)

I might take you up on that- if I win, I get a bottle of Crown. If I lose, my friends have their jobs back and I gain a lot of seniority.....not bad either way really.

Didn't they just ask for more COLAs (voluntary leaves)? That was last month I think. Monthly VRFs are still being offered for most all BES (base equipment seat) right? A couple of spring meltdowns really underline the staffing shortage but overall that kind of stuff would need to happen every week for about 6 months straight for CAL mgmt to bring anybody back. Unfortunately the bad summer thunderstorm season only lasts about 3 months in Newark.

Were CAL after all...

The smallest aircraft possible with the absolute minimum number of pilots with as little sim time as possible.

Last edited:
Didn't they just ask for more COLAs (voluntary leaves)? That was last month I think. Monthly VRFs are still being offered for most all BES (base equipment seat) right?

Yep! and here we are in the slow season offering leaves; and in my BES you can't trip trade on any single day this month because of below coverage! "brilliant"

Next month ask me for VJM, "yeah right, go fly it yourself".

Who am I kidding there will be more than enough guys climbing over the sick and furloughed to snap up uncovered trips.

Just finished a trip yesterday with a 3 yr sim instructor that was sent back to the line in Jan. He said more guys were getting sent back to the line in May....So, as much as I hate to say it...doesn't look like recalls will be happening any time soon

they send instructors back to the line every summer if i am not mistaken, so i really don't think that means anything at all. the retirement rumors are interesting however. who knows, i am interested to see the "language" used in the quarterly earnings report tomorrow. hopefully no mention of slower growth for 2010!

If schoolhouse knobs are being sent back to the line then thats then end of the rumor. The training center evacuations are indicative of an airline not expecting an increase in training or staffing. April 2010, no sooner, thats where my money is.

Latest resources

Back