• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL recalls when???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FWIW, a captain I just flew with has a neighbor in Houston who is involved with crew planning. He told me they are a little worried they will see high retirement numbers by November. I know, sounds familiar?

I know a new contract with work rules, and no PBS would bring you guys back in a heart beat.

I am not trying to get off topic here but for the life of me I cannot understand that level of selfishness. But what's new right? As long as they get theirs!

The bottom line for that type, they have no life outside of flying Boeings for CAL. Sorry but that's about every level of pathetic you can achieve in life. It will be interesting in the years ahead interest rates creep up to see if these guys start to see a life beyond jets.

Apparently this guy can...

" British Airways.....chief executive declared.. there are "absolutely no signs of recovery" in the industry.

"I'm 30 years in this business and I've never seen anything like this. This is by far the biggest crisis the industry has ever faced.."

YKW

I buy it. There really is no one factor suggesting any recovery is near. All the airlines do anymore is cut capacity, merge and downsize fleets, furlough and over work remaining crews. No attrition to retirement, as legacy carriers farm out more flying. The younger pilot group sees growth at their regionals but with no movement above hence no replacement of legacy senior pilots. The future will hold far less pilots period, as we bring in larger fleet types of the 70-120 seat range and reduce frequency and overlap with mergers. The ball is dark and murky. The best we can hope for is a total system revamp comprised of EMB-190 and CRJ-1000 type fleets with positions that pay $80,000 after 15 years of service.

Last edited:
Ten to eleven days off in the 756 for July. And that's what those of us who are around the fifty percent bidding seniority are getting. We'll need more than the 147 to end this bs.

thanks for the info. it is my understanding that in order to lock in the current rate used to calculate the lump sum, that the paperwork has to be in by November (when the rate will change). that is what i have been told, but i don't really have a way to verify that info. if that is the case, then it wouldn't be a surprise that more paperwork hasn't already come in. who knows, it all boils down to this - neither the company nor the union provides us with any useful information at all.

Yeah I don't know about the rate change dates, etc. and I hope that some of these factors do have an effect. But I'm pretty sure that they still have to give 6 months notice to keep their bridge medical.

How's everybody doing out there with finding work in the meantime. I only know of one guy that got a flying job out of my initial class of 16.

Yeah I don't know about the rate change dates, etc. and I hope that some of these factors do have an effect. But I'm pretty sure that they still have to give 6 months notice to keep their bridge medical.

How's everybody doing out there with finding work in the meantime. I only know of one guy that got a flying job out of my initial class of 16.

i am still not working. i have had what i thought was a pretty good shot at a couple of flying jobs, but nothing has come through. regarding the notice, i was told that the rate gets locked in based on when the paperwork gets put it, not when the actual retirement happens. so, guys could throw it in end of October, and still give their 6 month notice. i wouldn't bet my life on that fact to be true, but that was what i was told. i haven't heard from any furloughees that got flying jobs. most from my class were reserve guys, so they are flying there.

I buy it. There really is no one factor suggesting any recovery is near. All the airlines do anymore is cut capacity, merge and downsize fleets, furlough and over work remaining crews. No attrition to retirement, as legacy carriers farm out more flying. The younger pilot group sees growth at their regionals but with no movement above hence no replacement of legacy senior pilots. The future will hold far less pilots period, as we bring in larger fleet types of the 70-120 seat range and reduce frequency and overlap with mergers. The ball is dark and murky. The best we can hope for is a total system revamp comprised of EMB-190 and CRJ-1000 type fleets with positions that pay $80,000 after 15 years of service.

Wow, doom and gloom at its best. I agree, the industry is seeing the worst economy since the great depression, as are all of the other industries that are affected by economic cycles. Sure the airlines cut capacity when there is too much in the system.

I don't think overall that much more flying is being given out to the regionals. There will more than likely be no more scope relief anywhere unless it happens through bankruptcy - and if i were an executive and actually cared about the company i ran, i would try to avoid bankruptcy out of fear that my company would never make it out. Times are different now than they were when UAL, NWA, and DAL went in to restructure. The administration is different. I think the next big airline to declare bankruptcy will be liquidating and not restructuring. So, maybe those bigger regional airplanes will be flown under mainline seniority lists, but not by the regionals. Everyone has seen the effects of scope relief. In addition, there isn't enough room in the sky for more little airplanes. Yeah, works fine when everyone is cutting capacity, but when demand picks back up and capacity follows, I wouldn't be surprised to see more slot regulation - which will lead to bigger airplanes flying less slots.

The future will hold as many pilots as there is demand for air travel. In general, air travel demands will continue to grow, although the rate will depend on economic recovery.

all back by next summer

Latest resources

Back