• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL pilots win 50+ seat scope ruling

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
They already announced that the flying will still be done but only as UAX without CAL codeshares. (I don't know how to do links)

Yet to be seen.

We'll see the first punch UAL/CAL management lands in the next round, which will start soon I'm sure.

Or, do you think the fight is over and CALPA won?

No, I don't think CALPA won totally (the war vs a battle), but they made sure management knew that they think Scope is important, and enforceable. Looks like the arbitrator agrees. So, if they want to make nice and allow for more profits, they will do a joint contract and then move on to the SLI. That is how it works. Do it the USAir way, and that is how it turns into a nightmare. Simsack has to choose which way he wants to go. But, Scope doesn't seem like it is for sale.

Bye Bye---General Lee

But, Scope doesn't seem like it is for sale.

I guess not.

It seems to me like the history of the US airline industry, especially since deregulation, is a story of corporate interests walking all over their labor...no scheme is too unimaginable.

I'm interested to see the next play.

BTW, my perspective is from a career-changer to aviation probably too far along in life to be willing to make the jump to another airline...I fully expect ASA to be my last airline job. That said, the industry seems poised on the cusp of monumental change...so who knows what could happen. As volatile as things are, pretty much anything is possible.

<shrug>

The turbine keeps turnin'

Lot's of very good CAL customers will not be happy. But, from what I gather on the frequent flyer boards, they are displeased with Jeff Smisek, not the pilots. They all know the company just made nearly a billion dollars in the third quarter. Instead of a DL/NWA transaction that went smooth, Jeff wants to pull a USAir type stunt. Well, he lost. Now CAL Elite customers and other upgradeable customers will be back in the 50 seaters. Lot's of good corporate customers who are not pleased will want to know what Jeff's next move is. It's pretty clear he screwed up even trying this stunt in the first place...

Probably no less unhappy than when Gordon decided to make the Continental Express side 275 (-1) airframes and basically have just about 50% of the flying done on RJ's all in the name of an "all jet/seamless" customer experience.

Or when Larry "the horsetooth" Kellner made the decision to remove 69 airplanes from what Gordon worked so hard to create, and replace them with an operator that didn't have the airframes to fly it. As well as experienced a slew of operational hurdles by pulling old airframes out of the desert, getting them on the certificate, having poor performance numbers as far as completion factor/bumped revenue goes. Etc, etc, etc.....

They should have just sold the 70 seat scope for more money.

Dude, is posting all the obvious flamebait you've been doing here lately some weird recreational outlet for you? Or are you intentionally trying to become General Lee Jr.?

Last edited:
Dude, is posting all the obvious flamebait you've been doing here lately some weird recreational outlet for you? Or are you intentionally trying to become General Lee Jr.?

Flamebait? I just want to make the most money I can in this career and fly the big airplanes.

Latest resources

Back