CAL Pilots Picking up Open Time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

100/hour/5y

We have pilots on the street but pilots are still picking up open time! Wake Up!
I am a 756 EWR FO... I bid RES for the days off... I have had trips taken away from me by lineholders doing straight pickups... Thanks, I like staying at home... but don't complain about low pay and work rules to me...

Look at the
RESERVE AVAILABILITY REPORT for 07 dec EWR 756
A FO on RX days has a line value 104hrs... his PBS awared line value was 77hrs... Pickup of 27hrs... Thanks Rich, I like being home watching Football!
S/F

CAL Sucks!
Waiting for SWA or FedEx

Last edited:
You're smart to try somewhere else. It will not be changing for a long time. During last furlough there were guys in ops nearly high fiving about how much extra time they were picking up. An entire generation of pilots were "raised" in a sense by those who crossed the line. While those who crossed the line are few now, and those will be gone soon, the follow-on group which they've mentored (if you can call it that), will be here for decades. Predictably, this group learned to keep their head down, don't get involved, and take as many pay/benefit cuts as the company asks for hoping that the company will be so generous as to allow them to keep their jobs. The best hope they've got is to be merged, stapled, then furloughed indefinitely to put eveyone out of their misery....and that's the glass half full view.

Last edited:
We have pilots on the street but pilots are still picking up open time! Wake Up!
I am a 756 EWR FO... I bid RES for the days off... I have had trips taken away from me by lineholders doing straight pickups... Thanks, I like staying at home... but don't complain about low pay and work rules to me...

Look at the
RESERVE AVAILABILITY REPORT for 07 dec EWR 756
A FO on RX days has a line value 104hrs... his PBS awared line value was 77hrs... Pickup of 27hrs... Thanks Rich, I like being home watching Football!
S/F

CAL Sucks!
Waiting for SWA or FedEx

Dude, I can't stand guys like you. IMHO, you leaving, can't happen too soon. And no, I don't pick up open time and don't think people should.

Dude, I can't stand guys like you. IMHO, you leaving, can't happen too soon. And no, I don't pick up open time and don't think people should.

Are you a scab wanna be? Or just a scab lover? LOL

I would'nt say this phenomena is only related to Continental, American pilots pick up OT also, and they have plenty on the street.

Some pilots can be so selfish - feed the kids, stop the house from getting foreclosed on, taking care of elderly parents whose retirements have also been wiped out. Add on a few dozen more entirely valid reasons to work to bring income to the family.

Good thing there are lots of experts who can decide when it is acceptable to pick up trips.
Advertised only?
Can you build your line back up to it's original value after dumping all the garbage awarded by PBS?
Min fly one month to take care of personal pursuits and make it up the next month to make sure the bills are paid?
Trip cancels more than 24 hours prior to show and guess what - no pay for that pairing. Better not go shopping.
Job action may be required if negotiations ever get to the point to get released under the RLA. Who has a strike fund?
Drop a trip to attend your kids birthday / wife's surgery / sporting event. Sorry, it would be unethical to regain your monthly minimum income requirement.

Too many Guru's out there that think they know the one and only truth when it comes to how anyone else should live their life.

Been furloughed also. It sucks. Survive, move forward, do what it takes to live your life on your terms.

Not going to debate this or defend my beliefs. Just want to put it out there as a reasonable other perspective.

Flame away...

Peace

Some pilots can be so selfish - feed the kids, stop the house from getting foreclosed on, taking care of elderly parents whose retirements have also been wiped out. Add on a few dozen more entirely valid reasons to work to bring income to the family.

Good thing there are lots of experts who can decide when it is acceptable to pick up trips.
Advertised only?
Can you build your line back up to it's original value after dumping all the garbage awarded by PBS?
Min fly one month to take care of personal pursuits and make it up the next month to make sure the bills are paid?
Trip cancels more than 24 hours prior to show and guess what - no pay for that pairing. Better not go shopping.
Job action may be required if negotiations ever get to the point to get released under the RLA. Who has a strike fund?
Drop a trip to attend your kids birthday / wife's surgery / sporting event. Sorry, it would be unethical to regain your monthly minimum income requirement.

Too many Guru's out there that think they know the one and only truth when it comes to how anyone else should live their life.

Been furloughed also. It sucks. Survive, move forward, do what it takes to live your life on your terms.

Not going to debate this or defend my beliefs. Just want to put it out there as a reasonable other perspective.

Flame away...

Peace

Or just live within your means so you don't have to whore yourself out to make ends meet.

Latest resources

Back