• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL Pilots Picking up Open Time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
One scab told me that he picks up up to 95 hours every month - that way he can afford his wife, who left him twice for a doctor and a bis. executive, but came back. He said furloughed guys will understand.
Everyone has reasoning to sell their soul.

You're smart to try somewhere else. It will not be changing for a long time. During last furlough there were guys in ops nearly high fiving about how much extra time they were picking up. An entire generation of pilots were "raised" in a sense by those who crossed the line. While those who crossed the line are few now, and those will be gone soon, the follow-on group which they've mentored (if you can call it that), will be here for decades. Predictably, this group learned to keep their head down, don't get involved, and take as many pay/benefit cuts as the company asks for hoping that the company will be so generous as to allow them to keep their jobs. The best hope they've got is to be merged, stapled, then furloughed indefinitely to put eveyone out of their misery....and that's the glass half full view.

Take a good look at who is picking up these trips, there are more than a few guys close to the bottom of the list. They are essentially trying to work themselves out of a job.

I am all for no open time pickup why guys are on the street, but you guys just ignored some legitimate questions by bowman about what is "ethical".

One scab told me that he picks up up to 95 hours every month - that way he can afford his wife, who left him twice for a doctor and a bis. executive, but came back. He said furloughed guys will understand.

Obviously, she has as little respect for hiim; wonder why.

If you want to repair your marriage, spending more time at work isn't the answer. Especially if the spouse craves attention and affection from whomever will give it to her.

Not furloughed and I don't understand. Every single excuse for picking up open time while pilots are on the street is myopic. The salve the people use to make themselves feel better is that "it is legal per the contract." Our union is trying to make a legal stance and unify the pilot group..."fly safe and enjoy your days off!"...but there are those that continually undercut those efforts. By the end of the week we should have detailed openers in the hands of the pilot group and this is one of many issues that will be addressed.

We all need more money, but what you are willing to do to get is speaks to your character. Do not volunteer for VRF if you need the hours. Do not waive credits and safely and comfortably fly your full line. Bid and enjoy all of your vacation. Pick up advertised trips if you "need" to plus up your hours. Opting for the open time pairing vice advertised just because is gives you two more hours or has a better layover is self serving and defeatist. Please, work within the system without losing sight of the big picture.

I don't know why people would pick up open time every month. I thought the idea is to get paid for not flying.

Why would I want to spend more time at work?

Latest resources

Back