• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL Pilot Openers...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It will come from the $12.4 Billion dollar per year revenue stream.

They took at least $213 million per year in concessions from the Pilot group begining 2005.

Asking for only a $500 million per year increase in total pilot payroll is more than reasonable IMHO.

If you had any education whatsoever, you would understand the concept of 'creative accounting'. For example, if an aircraft is due for a C-check in January, why not pull it in on Dec 30 and use the millions in cost to offset profits for the previous year. There are hundreds of write-offs, special charges, deferred revenue and other accounting loopholes that can be used, especially during employee contract negotiations. Where did CAL find the $$$ to buy the LHR slots? How are the taking new deliveries of aircraft? How are they making a 1 billion dollars of improvements to IAH terminals? Come on and stop with the flamebait, you can't actually be that stupid, or maybe just a company sympathizer...

Yogi

So instead of getting the London slots or doing the C check they should give the pilots a raise? Remind me to never go into business with you, you would run it into the ground.

The airplane needs a C check, it does not matter which year you debit the expense. It would just be less expense for the next year.

The London slots generate money, that simple. We need as many assets that put money into the bottom line right now.

We also need terminal improvements, it is called reinvesting the money.

If you can't see how that works you just need to stick to flying the line and pushing those buttons on the panel and collect your check when it comes in. I hope for your sake that you never lose your flying job because it appears that you don't know how to make money elsewhere (or in the rest of the real world).

BTW, I will take the payraise if we get it.

So instead of getting the London slots or doing the C check they should give the pilots a raise? Remind me to never go into business with you, you would run it into the ground.

The airplane needs a C check, it does not matter which year you debit the expense. It would just be less expense for the next year.

The London slots generate money, that simple. We need as many assets that put money into the bottom line right now.

We also need terminal improvements, it is called reinvesting the money.

If you can't see how that works you just need to stick to flying the line and pushing those buttons on the panel and collect your check when it comes in. I hope for your sake that you never lose your flying job because it appears that you don't know how to make money elsewhere (or in the rest of the real world).

BTW, I will take the payraise if we get it.

So you are that stupid, wow, I was giving you the benefit of the doubt...

Those expenses will allow for more profits in the future, AFTER the labor contracts are settled. It's all about juggling money. You can make the books look as dismal as you want to, but someday you will pay the piper. So tell me why the cash on hand is increasing at CAL, as they show dismal financial pictures???

You will never get it, give it up!

Yogi

You guys better be nice to Sean. He is gonna be your chief pilot in nothing flat.:confused:

Even without creative accounting, are you suggesting that since CAL couldn't even make a $500 million profit in 2009 that there shouldn't be a raise going forward. $500 million profit in 2009, a year in which we were in one of the largest economic downturns in the last how many years? Well let's just go with an assumption that the next few years won't be as bad as 2009.

That 500M number is either completely bogus or the cost of a contract over some amount of years. They would have to be asking for astronomical raises in order to increase their pilot costs by an additional 500M, year over year.

I bet that is what UAL pilots thought when they signed their contract in 2000. I would also bet that is what DAL pilots thought when they signed in May 2001.

Look at UAL now.... DAL took a while to recover, and maybe still hasn't 100% yet.

Eastern.....they are still thinking that.

I am not against a pay raise, I just want to know where the union think the money is hiding. I would really like to know that because I would like to report CAL to the SEC if that is the case.

*sigh* This exact mindset was still way too prevalent at my airline during our protracted negotiations.

For the benefit of the profession, will you please stick to flying airplanes and stop worrying about whether your company can afford raises? They have the real data....you and the union do not and never will. And if you're going to drag out those tired old UAL & DAL analogies, let's be honest and include AWA in the mix. During that time, they were the lowest paid pilots in the majors AND their airline was barely keeping it's financial head above water. Pilot costs are just not that relevant in the grand financial scheme of things.....heck, move the price of oil down $10/bbl for a year and you've just saved the entire annual cost of the pilot payroll at most airlines. Competent management and a sound business strategy (neither of which you have any influence on, BTW) make the real difference between red or black ink.

Every time you push back from the gate, you and the guy to your left are assuming responsibility for more than a billion dollars of corporate liability. You earn every nickel you are paid, deserve far more than you are currently making, and will never see a penny more unless you are willing to look management in the eye and ask for it.

I wish you all the best in your upcoming Sect 6! :beer:

*sigh* This exact mindset was still way too prevalent at my airline during our protracted negotiations.

For the benefit of the profession, will you please stick to flying airplanes and stop worrying about whether your company can afford raises? They have the real data....you and the union do not and never will. And if you're going to drag out those tired old UAL & DAL analogies, let's be honest and include AWA in the mix. During that time, they were the lowest paid pilots in the majors AND their airline was barely keeping it's financial head above water. Pilot costs are just not that relevant in the grand financial scheme of things.....heck, move the price of oil down $10/bbl for a year and you've just saved the entire annual cost of the pilot payroll at most airlines. Competent management and a sound business strategy (neither of which you have any influence on, BTW) make the real difference between red or black ink.

Every time you push back from the gate, you and the guy to your left are assuming responsibility for more than a billion dollars of corporate liability. You earn every nickel you are paid, deserve far more than you are currently making, and will never see a penny more unless you are willing to look management in the eye and ask for it.

I wish you all the best in your upcoming Sect 6! :beer:

Well said and I agree 100%. My point is that most of the complaining pilots at CAL only think about their side and don't care about what the company's health is.

I am not a management boy or a union boy, I am realistic. If the company goes out of business we will have no raise. The funniest part of it all is that the pilots that complain the most and want to bring the airline "to its knees" are ones that probably don't have any source of income lined up if that actually happens.

I find that very funny, but human nature is funny if you think about it.

Either way, I am currently very happy at CAL. Any gain would be great and would be frosting on the cake to me. The only way I see it getting better is if I never fly and get more money!

But honestly speaking, if anyone is moving to the Houston area and wants to buy a house, if you use me as your buyer's agent I will credit you 1% of the purchase price back to you at closing. You probably won't find that deal anywhere else.

Email me if interested (this is a good offer for all of Texas).

Latest resources

Back