CAL orders more 787's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

geshields

HOUSTON, March 12 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Continental Airlines (NYSE: CAL - News) today announced that it has increased its commitment to the Boeing 787 Dreamliner, raising its firm order from 20 to 25 aircraft. By adding five 787-9 aircraft to its firm order, Continental is strengthening its ability to further modernize its fleet in the years ahead and unlocking additional international expansion opportunities.

In addition to increasing its firm order to 25 787s, Continental has converted 12 previously ordered 787-8s into 787-9s, for a total of 17 787-9 and eight 787-8 aircraft on firm order. Continental becomes the first airline in the Americas to order the 787-9, which will carry more passengers and fly further than the 787-8.
"Since we placed our initial 787 order in December 2004, we have become even more impressed with the 787 and its capabilities," said Larry Kellner, chairman and CEO. "The increased size and range of the 787-9 will allow us to serve more cities with the lowest operating seat cost of any aircraft in our fleet. This is the second time we have increased our 787 order, and demonstrates our continued confidence in Boeing and the 787."
The Boeing 787 is the optimal aircraft to support Continental's strategy for continued international growth. With expanded range capabilities, unmatched fuel efficiency and superior operating economics, the 787s will allow the company to replace less efficient widebody aircraft, and target additional long-haul markets. The 787s will also give Continental the ability to offer more capacity on international routes that need larger aircraft to support traffic growth.
Further modernizing a young fleet
Continental has approximately $9 billion (list price) of Boeing aircraft on order. In addition to the 25 787s, Continental has 60 737s and two 777s on order, plus options for 82 additional 737 and 787 aircraft. The two 777s will be delivered in the next 45 days.
The airline continues to employ a flexible fleet plan that provides Continental with the ability to adjust its fleet using orders, options and retirements to meet market conditions. Through its fleet modernization program, Continental has reduced the number of fleet types it operates to just three fleet types (777, 767/757 and 737) -- the least of all network carriers -- while maintaining the flexibility within each fleet type to meet various route and market needs.
With today's high fuel costs and rising environmental concerns, Continental is very focused on operating a young and fuel efficient fleet. Continental's mainline fleet is the youngest among all network airlines based in the U.S., with an average aircraft age of less than 10 years. The airline has reduced fuel consumption per revenue passenger mile by 34.1 percent in the last 10 years. Furthermore, no other U.S.-based network carrier burns less fuel per available seat mile than Continental, which translates to Continental having lower CO2 emissions per available seat mile than its primary competitors. Continental is well positioned among its network competitors, having the advantage of both a young fleet and significant orders for new aircraft. Other airlines are operating older fleets and have not been able to establish new aircraft order positions. With today's order, Continental preserves this advantage as aircraft manufacturers continue to be sold out of their capacity for the next several years.

More great news from CAL!

Not sure I agree. More great news would have been a wage and QOL increase. They are buying these planes on the backs of the employees. How about ALPA put out an announcement in the AP saying "CALALPA announces that corresponding with the 787 orders, CAL will increase pilot wages by 50%." If not, it's just SJS.

Not sure I agree. More great news would have been a wage and QOL increase. They are buying these planes on the backs of the employees. How about ALPA put out an announcement in the AP saying "CALALPA announces that corresponding with the 787 orders, CAL will increase pilot wages by 50%." If not, it's just SJS.

Or "HJS", Heavy Jet Syndrome.

As a CAL pilot I agree with appropriate wage increases for the new airplanes. However, I am confident that come Contract 08, we will obtain a significantly better contract addressing QOL and $ issues prior to any 787's coming on property. This is not the Continental of the past, the new blood being infused into this pilot group during this hiring spree is not going to settle for a garbage contract.

As a CAL pilot I agree with appropriate wage increases for the new airplanes. However, I am confident that come Contract 08, we will obtain a significantly better contract addressing QOL and $ issues prior to any 787's coming on property. This is not the Continental of the past, the new blood being infused into this pilot group during this hiring spree is not going to settle for a garbage contract.

Amen brother. Maybe we can actually get some true unity.

Lets hope

I have talked to many a Cal Captain regarding contract 08 and unfortunately the general concenus is that we will accept the first offer that the company throws at us. I feel that with the large #'s of new hires, things will be different. The key here is seeing through a contract proposal that will divide the pilot group, ie higher pay for the new hires or pension issues for the senior group of pilots. Let hope that we can together, hold out for a contract that takes care of everyones best interests.

I have talked to many a Cal Captain regarding contract 08 and unfortunately the general concenus is that we will accept the first offer that the company throws at us. I feel that with the large #'s of new hires, things will be different. The key here is seeing through a contract proposal that will divide the pilot group, ie higher pay for the new hires or pension issues for the senior group of pilots. Let hope that we can together, hold out for a contract that takes care of everyones best interests.

If that was the case we could of taken the companies first or second offer to extend our contract with minor improvements, but we didn't and now the company will have to open Sec 6 early if they want to negotiiate. I think we can get some great improvements in 08.

I have talked to many a Cal Captain regarding contract 08 and unfortunately the general concenus is that we will accept the first offer that the company throws at us. .

What is their rationale?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back