• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL...Minimum PIC Time??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In every hiring cycle you are going to hear rumors, of someone getting in under quilified. Just expect it, it happins to those few; call it what you want (Lucky) individuals who have mowed the lawn of the Chief Pilot since they were 12 yrs old, it happins to the son or daughter of the Ex.Vice President, and so on. It just does.

This year, I've only heard of one here.

Would that be a certain 25 year old individual, fresh out of Gulfstream Academy, and awarded B756 out of EWR ?

The following are the minimum qualifications to apply for a pilot position:

*1,500 hours fixed-wing total flight time
*1,000 hours fixed-wing PIC time, or The following are the minimum qualifications to apply for a pilot position:

*1,500 hours fixed-wing total flight time
*1,000 hours fixed-wing PIC time, or 500 hours PIC time and 500 hours SIC time in a turbojet
*1,000 hours fixed-wing turbine time
*1,000 hours fixed-wing multi-engine time (civilian or military) or 1,000 hours single-engine military fighter jet time

It's in black and white, right off the website.

1000 hours fixed-wing PIC time or 500 PIC and 500 SIC in a turbojet

Therefore, you can have have 1000 PIC in a Cessna 172, and meet the requirements. This 1000 PIC can be 1000 dual given, as every civilian flight instructor I've ever met logs all his dual-given as PIC.

Or, you dont even need 1000 PIC in a C 172. You can have 500 PIC in a 172, and then 500 SIC in a CRJ. Note, if you use the 500 and 500 mins, the 500 SIC must be in a turbo-jet, so they wont count 500 SIC in an E-120 towards that requirement.*1,000 hours fixed-wing turbine time
*1,000 hours fixed-wing multi-engine time (civilian or military) or 1,000 hours single-engine military fighter jet time

It's in black and white, right off the website.

1000 hours fixed-wing PIC time or 500 PIC and 500 SIC in a turbojet

Therefore, you can have have 1000 PIC in a Cessna 172, and meet the requirements. This 1000 PIC can be 1000 dual given, as every civilian flight instructor I've ever met logs all his dual-given as PIC.

Or, you dont even need 1000 PIC in a C 172. You can have 500 PIC in a 172, and then 500 SIC in a CRJ. Note, if you use the 500 and 500 mins, the 500 SIC must be in a turbo-jet, so they wont count 500 SIC in an E-120 towards that requirement.

First off, the requirement of "500 hours PIC time and 500 hours SIC time in a turbojet" refers to turbo jet PIC time. It should be read as "500 hours PIC time in a turbojet and 500 hours SIC time in a turbojet." A lot of potential candidates have been misled by this requirement.

Secondly, what has confused most pilots and what yasir is probably referring to is the exclusion of dual PIC time. The FAA allows you to log PIC time as a flight student if you have your private pilot license and are certified in the aircraft (i.e. a commercial student in a C172 or an instrument student in a C172). Continental will NOT allow you to count this time towards the PIC requirement.

Furloughed80

First off, the requirement of "500 hours PIC time and 500 hours SIC time in a turbojet" refers to turbo jet PIC time.

No, it doesn't. CAL has hired numerous people, a guy in my class included, with only their commercial rating, and NO PIC turbojet/turbo prop. This is because these people had 500 PIC in piston a/c, and were FO's at commuters with 500 SIC, (probably 1000 SIC turbojet to satisfy the 1000 multi-engine turbine minimum), in a CRJ/ERJ. So, they meet that particular minimum.

That statement means exactly what it says: 500 hours PIC in ANY aircraft and 500 SIC in a turbo-jet.

The bottom line is, CAL has NO turbine PIC requirement. You can meet the mins another way, by having SIC turbo-jet.

Continental will NOT allow you to count this time towards the PIC requirement.

I also don't understand this confusion. Simply follow the instructions on the flight time grid, they are pretty simple:

NOTE: Enter Instructor time separate from PIC time. The system will automatically add your Instructor time to your PIC time to calculate "Total PIC".

(on a different page of the app):

*PIC = PIC + Instructor
*Total = PIC + Instructor + SIC + Dual

You will not be asked again about your flight time grid in the interview.

Last edited:
Propjob27,

Are you sure about that? I was told by a pilot at CAL that I don’t meet the minimums because I don’t have 1000 PIC. I referred to the stipulation of 500 PIC with 500 turbojet SIC. I have 1500 turbojet SIC in a CRJ and well over 500 PIC. He told me that the 500 PIC was to be read as turbojet PIC. I guess I am confused because I am receiving conflicting interpretations of the minimums. I’ve had my application in since April with a letter of recommendation form a management pilot in the training department and one from a senior 777 Captain. Still no call. I guess it just wasn’t meant to be. Oh well……..

I'm sure about the PIC requirement. You do not need ANY PIC turbine. There are quite a few people hired here recently w/o any at all.

Again, like some people have said, those are just the 'minimums'. The people who have been hired here w/o any PIC turbine all had multiple recs.

propjob27 said:
I'm sure about the PIC requirement. You do not need ANY PIC turbine. There are quite a few people hired here recently w/o any at all.

Again, like some people have said, those are just the 'minimums'. The people who have been hired here w/o any PIC turbine all had multiple recs.

Like they say...it's not what you know, it's who you know that matters.

Latest resources

Back