CAL...Minimum PIC Time??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

yasir1212

I've heard this from a few people and have not looked into it myself, but for the minimum PIC time to apply at CAL, I heard that CAL does not allow you to count flight instructor time towards the required PIC time they are looking for. Is there any truth to this?

Not true. They do look at them separetly, but they combine them after all the totals have been put in and give a total PIC time that includes the instructor time. Just got the thumbs up from them myself and used about 600 hours of instructor time

but for the minimum PIC time to apply at CAL, I heard that CAL does not allow you to count flight instructor time towards the required PIC

I dont understand what people find so confusing about CALs flight time requirements, they are listed right on the website. Don't listen to what you "heard" from a buddy. See the following link: http://www.continental.com/company/career/pilot.asp

Here is what it says:

The following are the minimum qualifications to apply for a pilot position:

*1,500 hours fixed-wing total flight time
*1,000 hours fixed-wing PIC time, or 500 hours PIC time and 500 hours SIC time in a turbojet
*1,000 hours fixed-wing turbine time
*1,000 hours fixed-wing multi-engine time (civilian or military) or 1,000 hours single-engine military fighter jet time

It's in black and white, right off the website.

1000 hours fixed-wing PIC time or 500 PIC and 500 SIC in a turbojet

Therefore, you can have have 1000 PIC in a Cessna 172, and meet the requirements. This 1000 PIC can be 1000 dual given, as every civilian flight instructor I've ever met logs all his dual-given as PIC.

Or, you dont even need 1000 PIC in a C 172. You can have 500 PIC in a 172, and then 500 SIC in a CRJ. Note, if you use the 500 and 500 mins, the 500 SIC must be in a turbo-jet, so they wont count 500 SIC in an E-120 towards that requirement.

You must meet the mins for all for each of the 4 lines of flight time requirements.

Again, don't listen to what you "heard".

However, having said all this, even though you meet the mins with 1000 PIC in a C-172, I wouldn't exactly expect to get a call for an interview if you dont have any PIC Turbine unless you have some pretty substantial internal recs.

Last edited:
OUT said:
Dude, you are not even close to being qualified to fly for CAL. Keep on instructing.

DUDE, first of all...you probably just looked at my profile and had the urge to just posted something or respond. Hate to tell you that my profile hasn't been updated in months and let me enlighten you a little...I've got more TURBINE time than you have total.

And to the rest who responded, thank you. Even though the requirements are listed on their site and they are very clear, it was a rumor that I had heard and just wanted to see if anyone else had heard the same thing. That's all.

yasir1212 said:
DUDE, first of all...you probably just looked at my profile and had the urge to just posted something or respond. Hate to tell you that my profile hasn't been updated in months and let me enlighten you a little...I've got more TURBINE time than you have total.

And to the rest who responded, thank you. Even though the requirements are listed on their site and they are very clear, it was a rumor that I had heard and just wanted to see if anyone else had heard the same thing. That's all.

How do you know you have more turbine then he has total?

Yasir,

In every hiring cycle you are going to hear rumors, of someone getting in under quilified. Just expect it, it happins to those few; call it what you want (Lucky) individuals who have mowed the lawn of the Chief Pilot since they were 12 yrs old, it happins to the son or daughter of the Ex.Vice President, and so on. It just does.

This year, I've only heard of one here.

Latest resources

Back