• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL Merger Plans

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Jim Oberstar, new Chairman of the Transportation sub Committee, represents MN. If NWA doesn't want to merge with anyone, they will talk to him first. He has already denounced merging companies due to lack of consumer choice. Read other thread on his personal views. Now, if NWA had no chance to succeed and was in iminent danger of liquidating, then he might reconsider I suppose.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Anyone have retirement numbers for the next 10 years? Also, how will raising age 60 affect new-hires? I've heard everything from a negligible impact due to early-outs/medicals to cutting hiring in half. If this legislation changes it will probably take a few years before it becomes law, right?

A NWA merger would be better than UAL because their retirment numbers are similar to CAL's.

Will try to help looking at some old data. Active Pilots. NWA 5255, CAL 4425. NWA 423 Furloughs. 9566 active combined, 10125 total. Approx 3720 retirements next 10 years not counting early and medical estimates. Show CAL with 950 retires next 4 years, NWA with 640 next 4 years. Last 6 years a little more even. NWA 1170 retires, CAL 960. First 2 years total retires 860. Next 8 years approx. 375 year. Does relect some RET, DRP, MED. and LTS pilots. NWA will prob. have all furlough pilots back by end of next summer and will hire in the fall. Pass the advil.

Last edited:
From Jan. '07 until Dec. '17 Cal will retire 2225. 263 in '07 and very close to an average of 200 per year after that, obviously not counting early-outs or medicals.

fortunately or unfortunately UAL and CAL will merge if DAL/USAIR merge. NWA has little say...even with the spoiler share.

Anyone have retirement numbers for the next 10 years? Also, how will raising age 60 affect new-hires? I've heard everything from a negligible impact due to early-outs/medicals to cutting hiring in half. If this legislation changes it will probably take a few years before it becomes law, right?

A NWA merger would be better than UAL because their retirment numbers are similar to CAL's.

By Dec 2016, NWA will retire approx. 2490 pilots at age 60. That's half the list. These are #'s out of the "seniority crystall ball" posted on the NWA-ALPA website.

Last edited:
As long as its not with NWA i'll be happy and as long as Kellner is still in-charge as well as all of the CAL managment.

Dude, did you ever pay attention in school? Do you know what a sentence is? When you write four sentences in one, you sound like a freaking moron.

fortunately or unfortunately UAL and CAL will merge

Why does everyone insist that this is a certainty between these two carriers?

Is it b/c some "financial expert" said their routes match up the best?

What about their fleets?

And their employee groups (who tried to almost literally tried to kill each other in the late 80's early 90's)?

I'm not saying that one (or both) of these carriers WON'T be involved in a merger, but I'm just curious why EVERYONE seems to think these two will get hitched.

Captain X,

I think it is because United is the airline that Kellner has mentioned several times as the one that would work the best, primarily because of their route structures.

Captain X,

I think it is because United is the airline that Kellner has mentioned several times as the one that would work the best, primarily because of their route structures.

When he talked to our new-hire class, what I heard was "We are interested in their Heathrow and Pacific routes. Their fleet leaves a lot to be desired"

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back