• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL MEC considering leaving JCBA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
First off if UCH is going to offer $40 million to one side is it wrong to ask for the equivilant on the other. We are in this together are we not??

UALALPA wanted money equivilant to CAL. Compant said no?? UALALPA wanted to stop UCH from putting CAL in our hubs and UAL in CAL hubs. This was intended to continue to put preasure on the company on behalf of BOTH sides to negotiate. The company said no.. They countered with Forlough protection and something else small which I can not recall right now. Both of these were deemed by our MEC as worthless. The forlough protection in particular as A. The company is cancelling LOA's and forcing people back for the summer flying and B, everyone knows 65 kicks in in December. On top of that the CO MEC has our back right???? NO. This is where JP was underhanded. While our MC was out of the country he negotiated with the company for the PF for the CO side and left us. That is what happened plane and simple. If you think I don't trust him you are right. Tell me what he has done to make you think he is trustworthy.

Nobody wants to answer the question of how he comes back to CO with seniority without being in managements pocket. Could you leave and come back with seniority. I know I sure as hell could not.

UALALPA was not trying to get "double profit sharing" We attempted to get something of equal value. Please tell me what in a union setting is wrong with that? By the way it's not a PR nightmare it's a JCBA nightmare.

Thats the problem with UAL, only looking out for the senior pilots, FURLOUGH PROTECTION IS WORTHLESS!!!!????? You my friend have probably never been put on the street, KISS MY %^&$#*( !@#

The two Jays were in Chicago just yesrterday meeting with the company. Doesn't really add up to the title of this thread.
According to my sources, there is no intention, nor should there be, to stop negotiating for a JCBA.

This is all just noise eagle, try not to add to it. Every time you try to defend your leaders, or I try to defend mine, the rift between us becomes greater. Ultimately, we are on the same team, and we need to move forward together. Leadership issue's will be dealt with in time.

Were you listening to the same conference call I was??? JP very clearly stated that the reps were totally against the idea of negotiating a contract just on the CAL side. He mentioned multiple times that our focus on a JCBA has not changed. This whole post is a joke unless that statement made in the conference call was utter BS. You are just feeding the fire with this garbage.

Jeez skywdriver, never had an issue with you. First of all, what's the title of my post? It says 'considering'. You even admit that it was brought up during the conference call. So, I just pulled it out of my arse? That led me to start making some phone calls and it came to my attention that it's being discussed more and more as we go along. Call your reps, it's being discussed this week. It's an option on the table and it CONCERNS me. So call the post BS, you just validated it by saying that JP discussed it. What, you think it's left the table? Please.........

Last edited:
Sometimes you make sense sometimes you don't.

We didn't want double we wanted an equal increase. How is that not fair??? You DESERVE PS no doubt. We deserved an equal increase. If you do not agree with that then there are major issues with your thinking.

We put the 747 issue to rest as this was industry standard (Delta) and there was no chance of that sticking. That said I think the 747 should pay more, not for our guys but for whoever is flying them. You seem to be assuming it would only be our side which is making an assumption about the SLI before it is done. The pay was banded at the time of the snapshot. I would think that is all you need to meet your needs for an arbitrator.

If by Information you mean the W2 issue I hope your kidding. Joe Blow can go on line and see what we make I have to assume your MEC knows as well.

First of all, call it what you want. Call it a ps check and a bonus and you're right. Call it a ps check plus another ps check equal to what I got, then I'm right. But, if you're getting twice what I'm getting because we were left out in the first place, then you're getting..........oh man, my head hurts. Look, we signed a Transition Agreement with protection for you, hiring your furlough pilots, and we didn't get profit sharing. We just wanted our cut and now all this is happening. It's destroying everything.

So you've left the 747 pay issue huh? You guys just passed a resolution bringing it back. Not only is it completely without merit, it's a seniority grab. This stuff is going to hit the fan and ignite USAir Part II if we don't get control over it. I'm serious, this is getting really bad.

A vote of no confidence? You guys move quick. I can't believe this move by UALALPA to cover their mistakes. Unbelievable!! Our MEC Chair simply gets us profit sharing and all this. This whole thing is going up in smoke.

The two Jays were in Chicago just yesrterday meeting with the company. Doesn't really add up to the title of this thread.

Exactly and the results of that meeting will come out tomorrow, I think the focus will be put back where it should be, the JCBA.

leaving JCBA...or maybe not

January 12, 2012

Dear United Pilots:

On Tuesday, I met with ALPA President Captain Lee Moak and CAL-MEC Chairman Captain Jay Pierce in Chicago to discuss the Joint Collective Bargaining Agreement (JCBA), despite the profit sharing dispute, and how best to proceed in attaining a joint contract. Despite the UAL-MEC’s pursuit of legal and contractual rights we may have over the process of the Continental pilots’ inclusion in the company’s United 2011 Profit Sharing, we continue to work together as leaders and MECs towards the JCBA. Captain Pierce and I agree that any disagreements between us should not affect our working relationship in achieving the best contract that we can for the collective good of our 12,000 United pilots. Business is business, and disputes are best handled by those we employ to handle disputes—legal counsel, grievance committees, etc. These types of disputes are not and should not ever be personal.

On Wednesday, Captain Pierce, United MEC Vice Chairman Captain Rick Perry and I met with Messrs. Mike Bonds and Doug McKeen to discuss Transition and Process Agreement (TPA) Section 13-A extensions. All parties have agreed to continue discussions related to the TPA extension and all desire a resolution to this matter in the very near future.

The majority of Wednesday’s meeting with management was spent discussing how to complete the JCBA in the near term. Everyone at the meeting acknowledges that the JCBA will solve most, if not all, of our issues and the company’s issues as well. Senior management has committed to attend our JCBA negotiating sessions, beginning next week. Management is expected to return a scheduling proposal to the JNC on Wednesday.

We are at a juncture that will define our future relationships with others and how soon we achieve our JCBA. Stay focused on the contract; everything else is a distraction.

We are United,

Captain Jay Heppner
Chairman, United MEC

Last edited:
January 12, 2012

Dear United Pilots:

On Tuesday, I met with ALPA President Captain Lee Moak and CAL-MEC Chairman Captain Jay Pierce in Chicago to discuss the Joint Collective Bargaining Agreement (JCBA), despite the profit sharing dispute, and how best to proceed in attaining a joint contract. Despite the UAL-MEC’s pursuit of legal and contractual rights we may have over the process of the Continental pilots’ inclusion in the company’s United 2011 Profit Sharing, we continue to work together as leaders and MECs towards the JCBA. Captain Pierce and I agree that any disagreements between us should not affect our working relationship in achieving the best contract that we can for the collective good of our 12,000 United pilots. Business is business, and disputes are best handled by those we employ to handle disputes—legal counsel, grievance committees, etc. These types of disputes are not and should not ever be personal.

On Wednesday, Captain Pierce, United MEC Vice Chairman Captain Rick Perry and I met with Messrs. Mike Bonds and Doug McKeen to discuss Transition and Process Agreement (TPA) Section 13-A extensions. All parties have agreed to continue discussions related to the TPA extension and all desire a resolution to this matter in the very near future.

The majority of Wednesday’s meeting with management was spent discussing how to complete the JCBA in the near term. Everyone at the meeting acknowledges that the JCBA will solve most, if not all, of our issues and the company’s issues as well. Senior management has committed to attend our JCBA negotiating sessions, beginning next week. Management is expected to return a scheduling proposal to the JNC on Wednesday.

We are at a juncture that will define our future relationships with others and how soon we achieve our JCBA. Stay focused on the contract; everything else is a distraction.

We are United,

Captain Jay Heppner
Chairman, United MEC

Yawn..... :rolleyes:

Doesn't solve anything. The issue is trust and neither has it in one another. What else is he going to say? JP will never be trusted and your Council 12 needs a leash. The resolutions that were passed just shows the direction that the United folks wants to take this.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back