CAL Junior Bases

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Tor2ga

I hear Continental is hiring. Can anyone tell me about the junior bases and how long it will take to get to a base of your choice. How is Guam for families with small children?

Thank you
Tor2ga

Big snakes there, lots of them in Guam. Don't let small animals out of your site or outside to pee. They will become snake food. Also, check the toilets before you sit down----not for brown cable, but for brown SNAKES. I actually saw a CNN report about a Japanese tourist being bitten on the anus by a snake in the toilet. That's gotta hurt. But, all that being said, it might be better than Newark.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Can't vouch for the snakes, but in the last class Guam wasn't even a choice, (one guy quit because he was counting on Guam for the money and commute apparently)

General Lee said:
Big snakes there, lots of them in Guam. Don't let small animals out of your site or outside to pee. They will become snake food. Also, check the toilets before you sit down----not for brown cable, but for brown SNAKES. I actually saw a CNN report about a Japanese tourist being bitten on the anus by a snake in the toilet. That's gotta hurt. But, all that being said, it might be better than Newark.

Bye Bye--General Lee

LOL. Well the Mrs. just waived me off on any possible Guam option that may present itself in the future. "Not only no, but H311 NO!"

VVJM265 said:
LOL. Well the Mrs. just waived me off on any possible Guam option that may present itself in the future. "Not only no, but H311 NO!"

Same here. Glad to hear I'm not in the same boat. What will they say when I let them know I don't really want Guam?

Hmm -- how many spots do you guys think that they will have in GUAM for upcoming classes?

venr122 said:
Can't vouch for the snakes, but in the last class Guam wasn't even a choice, (one guy quit because he was counting on Guam for the money and commute apparently)

Sure it wasn't the LBFMs he missed?

Our last bid about 7weeks ago, had 20 B737 FO vacancies unfilled.

I do not know how many of the last few classes have been assigned to these openings.

Generally, when you're offered a class date, they will know at that time what bases are going to be assigned to that class. Having a Guam assignment in the class is unpredictable though. Because Guam flying requires a couple of extra days of training and the move out there is expensive for the company, they want a pilot to remain at Guam for 18 months or two years minimum. There are incentives in place to make this happen (or disincentives for people not to leave before this, like having you pay back a prorated amount of the moving expenses if you leave early). So, there may be folks senior to you in Guam, but are somewhat locked in for many months, despite the fact they would like to leave and have you replace them there. In the current environment of hiring over 50 a month indefinitely, chances are you'll quickly be senior enough to not get Guam if you don't want it, or senior enough to get it if you want it. There are usually less than 10 "non-vols" to Guam in each assignment cycle, with the other 60 or 70 FOs wanting to be there. In the end, it will be the luck of the draw as to what is available to your class, and whether you're in the right position within your class to get, or not get, Guam (your class is rank ordered by DOB).

Last edited:
But.... How does one get an interview? No connections, no family members working for them, and not anywhere near IAH so I could stand a the front door every weekday at 8am and 5 pm with resume in hand.
I am a just an honest, hard working pilot with the right qualifications, but, once again, it seems like it is not WHAT you know, but WHO you know.

Anybody out there working at Continental want to be my new best friend?
$1000.00 to anyone who can get me an interview.

Latest resources

Back