• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

CAL Junior Bases

Tor2ga

Total Time
I hear Continental is hiring. Can anyone tell me about the junior bases and how long it will take to get to a base of your choice. How is Guam for families with small children?

Thank you
Tor2ga

General Lee

Total Time
A lot
Big snakes there, lots of them in Guam. Don't let small animals out of your site or outside to pee. They will become snake food. Also, check the toilets before you sit down----not for brown cable, but for brown SNAKES. I actually saw a CNN report about a Japanese tourist being bitten on the anus by a snake in the toilet. That's gotta hurt. But, all that being said, it might be better than Newark.

Bye Bye--General Lee

venr122

Total Time
7000+
Can't vouch for the snakes, but in the last class Guam wasn't even a choice, (one guy quit because he was counting on Guam for the money and commute apparently)

VVJM265

Total Time
8000+
General Lee said:
Big snakes there, lots of them in Guam. Don't let small animals out of your site or outside to pee. They will become snake food. Also, check the toilets before you sit down----not for brown cable, but for brown SNAKES. I actually saw a CNN report about a Japanese tourist being bitten on the anus by a snake in the toilet. That's gotta hurt. But, all that being said, it might be better than Newark.

Bye Bye--General Lee

LOL. Well the Mrs. just waived me off on any possible Guam option that may present itself in the future. "Not only no, but H311 NO!"

248to2.8

Total Time
VVJM265 said:
LOL. Well the Mrs. just waived me off on any possible Guam option that may present itself in the future. "Not only no, but H311 NO!"

Same here. Glad to hear I'm not in the same boat. What will they say when I let them know I don't really want Guam?

hotwing

Total Time
a few
Hmm -- how many spots do you guys think that they will have in GUAM for upcoming classes?

miles otoole

Total Time
10k+
venr122 said:
Can't vouch for the snakes, but in the last class Guam wasn't even a choice, (one guy quit because he was counting on Guam for the money and commute apparently)

Sure it wasn't the LBFMs he missed?

COpilot

Total Time
Our last bid about 7weeks ago, had 20 B737 FO vacancies unfilled.

I do not know how many of the last few classes have been assigned to these openings.

densoo

Total Time
yes
Generally, when you're offered a class date, they will know at that time what bases are going to be assigned to that class. Having a Guam assignment in the class is unpredictable though. Because Guam flying requires a couple of extra days of training and the move out there is expensive for the company, they want a pilot to remain at Guam for 18 months or two years minimum. There are incentives in place to make this happen (or disincentives for people not to leave before this, like having you pay back a prorated amount of the moving expenses if you leave early). So, there may be folks senior to you in Guam, but are somewhat locked in for many months, despite the fact they would like to leave and have you replace them there. In the current environment of hiring over 50 a month indefinitely, chances are you'll quickly be senior enough to not get Guam if you don't want it, or senior enough to get it if you want it. There are usually less than 10 "non-vols" to Guam in each assignment cycle, with the other 60 or 70 FOs wanting to be there. In the end, it will be the luck of the draw as to what is available to your class, and whether you're in the right position within your class to get, or not get, Guam (your class is rank ordered by DOB).

Last edited:

Pilottodd2

Total Time
But.... How does one get an interview? No connections, no family members working for them, and not anywhere near IAH so I could stand a the front door every weekday at 8am and 5 pm with resume in hand.
I am a just an honest, hard working pilot with the right qualifications, but, once again, it seems like it is not WHAT you know, but WHO you know.

Anybody out there working at Continental want to be my new best friend?
$1000.00 to anyone who can get me an interview.

Cardinal

Of The Kremlin
Total Time
K's
Pilottodd2 said:
I am a just an honest, hard working pilot with the right qualifications, but, once again, it seems like it is not WHAT you know, but WHO you know.

It is becoming evident that WHO you know can get you the interview, but to a large degree it's still WHAT you know and WHAT you've done that'll get you the job. Don't sweat it too much.

catIIIc

Total Time
5000+
It has always been Who you know gets you into the door, What you know keeps you there.

Pilottodd2

Total Time
Thanks Cardinal and catIIIc, but both of you still confirm what I have said, It is WHO you know... I agree that once you are there, then you can shine with what you have accomplished, but I could have 3 PhD's, piloted the space shuttle, broken the sound barrier, saved 300 lives on an aircraft with no engines, on fire, in IMC to mins, and carried three uncouncious ladies on my back with a baby under each arm, just before the plane blew up, but since I dont know anyone at Continental, I cannot get an interview offer...

Like I said before, anyone wants to get my an interview, $1,000.00 in their pockets.

In the mean time, I am keeping my head held high, and trying not to step in the steaming piles at the same time.

puddlejumper101

Total Time
enough
pilottodd2...welcome to the club, you and about 15,000 other qualified applicants all want the same interview and all want to meet someone that flies for CAL. When there are thousands of applicants, how else is an airline going to screen applicants except through recommendations? Lets face it, qualified applicants with the attitude and personality to get hired are plenty...i guess the challenge is finding a way to get pulled out of the stack...good luck, I am in the same boat you are.

Capt.LongThrust

Total Time
12teen
PilotTodd,

Welcome to the real world bro. And...............yeah keep your head out of the steaming piles.

Pilottodd2

Total Time
The real world can really suck sometimes....
Oh well, Im still keeping the dirty side down, and keeping the faith.
Does anyone personally know anyone that has been invited for an interview? If so, what did they do to get it? Thanks