CAL Intel

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
lookin4better said:
I was told by someone helping me at CAL that i was moved to an upper folder (in the application system) and that all I had to do now was wait.
I was told the same thing about a month ago. If I keep my fingers crossed any longer, they're likely to fall off from lack of circulation. Anyone gotten a call recently?

Once a Chief Pilot recs you, the application then goes to one final board which gives a thumbs up or down to interview. This panel basically says your CAL material and it is up to you to screw up the interview. This was the info that the hiring department gave me last time I reconmended some one.

Latest numbers from the school house is 70/month for at least 8 months starting in September.

ACWild said:
Don't take this as a fact, but this is what I've heard. When a sponsor walks in to recommend you, one of the first questions asked is "Have you flown with this person?" If the answer is no, then you're out of luck. With this in mind, I don't think that the jumpseating tactic will work. JMHO.

Not exactly true. I referred three pilots all were hired. One I flew with as his primary instructor over twenty years ago. The other two (Doug being one of them) I never flew with. I did however know Doug very well for over ten years and the other pilot I knew for five years. I believe flying with the pilot your referring isn't mandatory but knowing the pilot well gives a lot of credibility to your referral.

FYI I just returned home from my annual recurrent simulator training check. I talked with the head of the training department who oversees pilot recruitment, he is above KD Jost. He had helped me with my three pilot referrals and unbelievably he actually thanked me for bringing these great pilots to our company. This management pilot is a real class act and I have a lot of respect for him as a person and his management style. He is one of the best managers I've seen at Continental in my almost twenty years. As I left he said if I had more referrals to please let him know.

Before I get offers, PM's, etc., let me say the following. I can't refer anyone I do not know fairly well. While I didn't discuss this issue this week I do know from previous talks with several management pilots referring a pilot is something for one to take very seriously. You are putting your reputation on the line. I can't comfortably refer anyone I didn't know for several years.

I am quite sure many on this forum would do an outstanding job as a pilot for Continental, however unless I knew you personally outside this forum for a resonable amount of time I couldn't comfortably recommend you.

Some pilots may have been successful in getting an interview by meeting pilot on the jumpseat, etc. I'm confident one of the first questions asked to the sponser is how long have you known your referral? The amount of weight given to the referral may not be as high if you have only known this person for a short period of time.

I have spent countless hours answering questions via PM's and e-mails about Continental. I have spent a considerable amount of time communicating with a few pilots who I met on this forum that were hired by CAL (with other sponsors) and answered many questions and forwarded much material to them prior their class date. I have spoken to these pilots many times during their training and beyond to answer questions.

The head of training also told me the following:

1: 480 pilots to be hired between Sept 1 2006 and May 1 2007

2: The fall of 2007 to the Spring of 2008 pilot hiring could be as high as 800 pilots.

Last edited:
CAL EWR B737 said:
He is one of the best managers I've seen at Continental in my almost twenty years. As I left he said if I had more referrals to please let him know.

The head of training also told me the following:

1: 480 pilots to be hired between Sept 1 2006 and May 1 2007

2: The fall of 2007 to the Spring of 2008 pilot hiring could be as high as 800 pilots.

I'll give you what you said, but after 20 years, I think they are going more on your perceptions. 20 years shouldn't be pushed aside. I believe you know what they're looking for very well. If a person doesn't know someone that's been there 20 years, I bet it's not so easy. I think the "sponsor" is almost required. Don't you think?

Latest resources

Back