• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL History question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Can any of you CAL guys comment about your latest ALPA updates?

Our last few ALPA-MEC updates at UAL seem to have all kinds of "meetings" and other functions with both MEC's of UAL and CAL meeting all last week. I think we are getting our contracts in line with each other.

We keep hearing all kinds of rumors here at UAL, just curious what you guys at CAL are hearing?

Sure, if I was at UAL I'd be spreading rumors all the damn time to keep the fire going. Not going to happen guys!!! There's no reason for it for now. I don't think the need is there and that the DL/NW merger didn't start the firestorm that was expected. We've been talking about this UAL merger for the last 10 years min!! It's sort of old now.

As far as the meetings go.....uuhh, we're meeting with everyone all the time. We've had meetings with every single major MEC to discuss goals and direction for all future contracts. We've also been getting advice and game plans from more experienced MEC's. UAL's MEC and our MEC have been meeting a bunch of times recently because we're both concerned with outsourcing and whipsawing at our two companies. Now that we've entered into this Star deal and now aligning our operations, it's ripe for whipsaw...not merger. We would of done it back last year. If it didn't happen then, it's not going to happen for a long time. If UAL had their sheot together, we'd be merged right now. But until they shave off all that excess fat and turn themselves around, NO ONE is coming to their rescue. We'll just be around to pick up the pieces.

Last edited:
Just keep your head in the sand this merger is coming whether we like it or not.

We looked at their books and we found what needed to be cut at both airlines before the deal to make the merger run smoother. Expect it before the end of year.

These guys just don't walk away from a possible 35 billion dollars in annual revenue.

"whatitdoing"

Listen Pal...I am making this up so here it is:

[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']Continental and United Pilots representing their [/FONT][FONT='Times New Roman','serif'][/FONT]
[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']respective Strike Preparedness Committees (SPC) join[/FONT][FONT='Times New Roman','serif'][/FONT]
[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']forces to show labor's support during the MLK[/FONT][FONT='Times New Roman','serif'][/FONT]
[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']Observance in New Orleans Jan. 15 through 19.[/FONT]
[FONT='Times New Roman','serif'] [/FONT]
[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']To say this event was historic is an understatement. Labor from around the country descended upon New Orleans for five days of observance of the life of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. More importantly is the unity, solidarity and relationship building we are forging with Continental pilots as we prepare for the possibility of a merger. [/FONT]
[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']Brotherhood/Sisterhood:[/FONT][FONT='Times New Roman','serif'][/FONT]
[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']Before I tell you about our SPC efforts in New Orleans, I must relay the ground we are covering with Continental Airlines. The Master Chairmen of both airlines, Capt. Steve Wallach (UAL) and Capt. Jay Pierce (CAL), are strengthening our relationships in the event of a merger so that our unified groups will get what we rightfully deserve for our sacrifices over the past five years. [/FONT][FONT='Times New Roman','serif'][/FONT]
[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']During the week of January 26, Captain Mike Jones (CAL SPC Chairman) delivered an UPPAC check to the Texas Democratic Party, furthering our brotherhood as we move into the realm of merger possibility. Captain Jones made several contacts, which we will jointly visit in the upcoming months to solidify our political efforts as we approach a possible merger.[/FONT][FONT='Times New Roman','serif'][/FONT]
[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']
image003.jpg
[/FONT][FONT='Times New Roman','serif'][/FONT]
[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']Becky Moeller (left), Pres TX AFL-CIO Boyd Richie (right), Chairman TX Democratic Party[/FONT][FONT='Times New Roman','serif'][/FONT]
[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']I believe in the unity between our two SPC groups. I believe in the consistency of the communication messages, and lastly I believe that the close relationship between our two SPC Chairmen is something to be proud of in ALPA. UAL-MEC SPC Chairman Capt Jim Anderson, who has been involved with ALPA or AFL-CIO strike committees for 25 years, said recently to the UAL and CAL MECs: “I have worked with every ALPA, and most AFL-CIO, strike committees across our nation, and Continental Capt Mike Jones is the hardest working labor-orientated strike chairman in the business. Capt Jones has organized large events that the United pilots have not attempted as of yet, but when we do, the UAL SPC will look to Capt Jones for his expertise and guidance.”[/FONT]
[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']New Orleans:[/FONT][FONT='Times New Roman','serif'][/FONT]
[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']First Officer J.D. Williams (UAL SPC) and I were joined by Captain Jones, and F/O Anthony La Canfora; CAL-MEC SPC Chairman and Vice Chairman, respectively. Our AFL-CIO efforts with CAL will work toward a political plan for benefiting both our pilot groups to the maximum under the Obama Administration. [/FONT][FONT='Times New Roman','serif'][/FONT]
[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']It began with community service to the devastated areas still suffering from the effects of Hurricane Katrina, specifically in the 9th Ward. It is a city that has healed and come together after that horrible natural disaster. Philanthropists such as actor Brad Pitt have done amazing things, as evidenced in the January 2009 issue of Architectural Digest, but this is only a small step in the process needed to really make a difference.[/FONT][FONT='Times New Roman','serif'][/FONT]
[FONT='Times New Roman','serif'] [/FONT][FONT='Times New Roman','serif'][/FONT]
[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']The sad labor story for New Orleans was one of brotherhood across the nation. The AFL-CIO had pledged to put $750 million into the restoration of New Orleans right after the disaster. Trailers were to be set up for union tradesmen/women to live in and partake in temporary duty, giving the top quality workmanship that was sorely needed in the area. The process was brought to a halt when it was turned into a nonunion-labor project. Non-union contractors would be able to bid as high as they needed for renovations, while workers were to be paid minimum wage. Union tradesman who had already shown up to work, would now be sent home as preferred SCAB labor -- including illegal aliens -- took over the job. Being raised in a construction family, I can tell the difference between quality union work and that performed by non-union workers. One home we looked at had cracking in the ceiling joints that had been recently repaired. Others had PVC venting on the outside walls poorly braced to the side of the house. It is clearly apparent to me that building codes are not being adhered to even at the minimal level. Our government has let us down. Funny how we all must pay for Wall Street, AIG and the failing banks for their mistakes, but the citizens of America are left behind. This same government denied United Airlines a simple loan guarantee; not cash, but a loan guarantee. Our efforts to save our pensions were denied time and again. Our government can't save pensions for hard-working Americans, but it will bail out the rich guys and gals on Wall Street.[/FONT]

Sure, if I was at UAL I'd be spreading rumors all the damn time to keep the fire going. Not going to happen guys!!! There's no reason for it for now. I don't think the need is there and that the DL/NW merger didn't start the firestorm that was expected. We've been talking about this UAL merger for the last 10 years min!! It's sort of old now.

As far as the meetings go.....uuhh, we're meeting with everyone all the time. We've had meetings with every single major MEC to discuss goals and direction for all future contracts. We've also been getting advice and game plans from more experienced MEC's. UAL's MEC and our MEC have been meeting a bunch of times recently because we're both concerned with outsourcing and whipsawing at our two companies. Now that we've entered into this Star deal and now aligning our operations, it's ripe for whipsaw...not merger. We would of done it back last year. If it didn't happen then, it's not going to happen for a long time. If UAL had their sheot together, we'd be merged right now. But until they shave off all that excess fat and turn themselves around, NO ONE is coming to their rescue. We'll just be around to pick up the pieces.

Yeah--must feel good to sling all that "crap" around eh?

I noticed you are junior at CAL...too bad you will be pulling gear for me!

Yeah--must feel good to sling all that "crap" around eh?

I noticed you are junior at CAL...too bad you will be pulling gear for me!

Just because someone is being stupid is no reason for starting an unending internet seniority war. Heck, I fly with stupid people who are senior to me fairly often.

PIPE

Just because someone is being stupid is no reason for starting an unending internet seniority war. Heck, I fly with stupid people who are senior to me fairly often.

PIPE

you know you are right, I should not have lowered myself...I don't want to stir up a seniority war, it just ruffles all the feathers-my point was to see what was up over at the CAL-ALPA MEC.

Got the message from the union last night, no new bases. No Florida or LAX base for right now, might be explored again in the future. The loads I have been flying have been terrible. I really don't see any growth for awhile.

The guys hired here in the last couple years are NOT the old typical CAL hire. Things will change here. We just need to get the furloughs back and start hiring again off the street. It's only a matter of time until us "young" guys outnumber the "bend over and take anything" guys. It'll happen. Have patience.

The "young" guys you refer too are the XJT flowthroughs, most of whom PFT'd back in the day.

Wow, I did not realize we still had a flow through program with XJT.

With the change in CAL's pilot demographics over the last few years and our new LEC reps, I am sure that we will attain a great contract.

And finally, I would rather be at no legacy carrier other than CAL to weather this economic downturn. Let's just hope that things turn around for all of us.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back