• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL History question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There are lots of weirdos, bad dressers and fat people at CAL from what I have seen.

I think the scabs still run the place.

I said Thanks, but no thanks after the interview when they hired me.

I guess you coud say I pulled a Sarah Palin. ;>) LOL

There are lots of weirdos, bad dressers and fat people at CAL from what I have seen.

I think the scabs still run the place.

I said Thanks, but no thanks after the interview when they hired me.

I guess you coud say I pulled a Sarah Palin. ;>) LOL

Yeah right, then why interview? I would not waste my time interviewing somewhere that I do not want to work.

Face the truth.

I know that CAL is not hireing right now, but have heard rumors that they might be by the end of 2009, and just wanted to get my app. and reqs in order.

Thats interesting since the guys on furlough at Continental havn't heard anything regarding when they will ever come back. Who did you hear they might be hireing in '09 from. I'm sure there are a couple hundred out of work guys that would be interested in this info.

Buddy of mine just told me that in the last standing bid that came out there were 221 vacancies in the company as of right now. Also, it was announced a couple of days ago that there will be another standing bid issued on March 1. He's betting the farm that the furloughs are coming back with that bid.

He's still saying there is no way in hell CAL makes it through the summer without them.

Buddy of mine just told me that in the last standing bid that came out there were 221 vacancies in the company as of right now. Also, it was announced a couple of days ago that there will be another standing bid issued on March 1. He's betting the farm that the furloughs are coming back with that bid.

He's still saying there is no way in hell CAL makes it through the summer without them.

the last bid that came out was pretty much flat, except for the few that didn't officially have positions who now do. i like your friend's optimism, but I don't think we will be back for the summer. however, one of the head planning guys was spreading rumors on jumpseats that furloughs might be back at some point in the last quarter of the year, which would jive with the letter they sent to the guys in the pool. it doesn't really matter what they say now, if the economy continues to weaken, plans will change to accomodate demand. hoping for the best as always, but i will still be surprised to be back on property in 09.

There's been a lot of discussion about an adjustment bid coming out within the next two months, adding roughly CLE-sized bases to both Southern California and Florida. It's all preliminary, so who knows if it will pan out.

The furloughees might or might not be on that adjustment bid for a recall. I would bet that if they're not recalled for that bid they will come back this fall, as stated earlier.

I hope it's sooner rather than later. It will be a summer of pain without you guys. No open time pickup untill you get back!

yeah, i hope you are right about that. please slap anyone you know of who picks up any open time and tell them it is from the pawns. the earnings call mentioned further capacity reductions, but i am assuming that they were referring to airplanes that were already going to be parked.

I'm still holding out optimism for you guys.....as I said before, he's rarely been wrong about this stuff. The main thing he's telling me is the planned capacity reductions that were supposedly going to happen, (selling some 737's to the Russians) aren't now because they can't secure financing because they've already wrecked 2 of the 4 CAL has sent over there. The company is short anyway, and a lot of the furloughees aren't even out of currency yet and wouldn't require retraining....just 3 bounces in the sim. It makes sense to bring them back now, especially since the furlough, according to him, was NOT NEEDED due to business. It was done simply for contract posturing. That makes sense to me too, because really, does it make sense to you guys to furlough 150 $27 an hour guys out of what, 6000-7000, then pay for displacements and retraining, all so you can be short staffed and pay more senior people double time to make up the flying? No way. That's asinine. There's no way you can convince me that that was done to save money. Hell, I'd bet my left nut it cost them more money to furlough the 150 then to keep them on property.

I think ya'll will be back before the summer. I hope I'm right, and so does my buddy. Good luck!

On a side note, how many of the 150 do you think ya'll will lose? I personally know one of the 150 that's found a good corporate job and probably isn't going to go back. What do you think?

I think out of my class, a lot will probably put off the recall, but all but one or maybe two are planning on coming back. Its hard to say. I certainly agree with your friend, we didn't need to be furloughed, at least not when they did it. It is all about contract leverage.

Latest resources

Back