CAL History question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

waterskier

I know that CAL is not hireing right now, but have heard rumors that they might be by the end of 2009, and just wanted to get my app. and reqs in order.
I know there was a pilot strike in the early 1980s and Someone told me that there were some pilots that got hired during the strike.... They also told me that to have a req from one of these guys was not a good thing, and would probably prevent me from ever getting an intervew....

Is this true, and if so, what are the DOEs to look out for?

Thanks,

Seeing as most of our management was hired during that time 83-85 I don't you have anything to worry about.

I know that CAL is not hireing right now, but have heard rumors that they might be by the end of 2009, and just wanted to get my app. and reqs in order.
I know there was a pilot strike in the early 1980s and Someone told me that there were some pilots that got hired during the strike.... They also told me that to have a req from one of these guys was not a good thing, and would probably prevent me from ever getting an intervew....

Is this true, and if so, what are the DOEs to look out for?

Thanks,

Well, I suppose it depends who's doing the hiring, but I doubt that it would count against you. As much as I disagree with the choices they made, many of them have friends and family here that were hired with absurdly low time.

Just depends if you feel ok taking a rec from this person. I had an offer from one and I thought that this individual was probably the slimiest form of life I'd come across. I didn't take him up on the offer. So maybe it added a few months to my wait, but I have some self-respect.

BTW 83-85 are the years you're asking about but be real careful because there are a lot of exceptions- it's complicated with guys from NYAir, PEX, TI, old CAL, etc.

I had an offer from one and I thought that this individual was probably the slimiest form of life I'd come across. I didn't take him up on the offer. So maybe it added a few months to my wait, but I have some self-respect.

Did this guy have the initials of JT or perhaps AJB? ;) I had offers from both of them too. I did not take them up on it. Ah, good times :D.

Last edited:
83-85, 4 numeral employee number that ends with a letter. Some with recs from scabs get hired, some do not. Some with recs from strikers get hired, some do not. Whatever way you can snag an interview, go for it.

Just apply, nobody cares much about the strike anymore. Old news.....Besides, if you are like me I was in Kindergarten when it happened.....

Latest resources

Back