• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cal ecpected to cave on scope

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I hope your right......But what happens, oil at 130-140, with 500+ CAL furloughs and a looming bankruptcy. Will ALPA fold to save the senior guys their job. Or will we finally step up to the plate and say NO MORE freaking outsourcing!!!!!!

I have yet to hear a single management person say "furlough". And "bankruptcy"... come on Larry K., get off the forum. Why does the pilot group continue to do management's dirty work for them???

Having been furloughed before, I have nothing to fear. We have a lot of silver spooners from Express that have had it good their entire career so far. They are wettin' their jockeys over the rumors of furloughs. That is a mindset that is shamefully ignorant. My favorite quote I've heard recently from an ex-Express guy over at CAL is "I just want to be able to pay my bills" (paraphrased). Well, that is all you're going to be able to do with that kind of intestinal fortitude.

I am educated. I can get a job outside of aviation to wait out a furlough. I would rather be furloughed and have a great contract to come back to then to "save my job" and work for pathetic wages while management makes millions.

I\ We have a lot of silver spooners from Express that have had it good their entire career so far. They are wettin' their jockeys over the rumors of furloughs. That is a mindset that is shamefully ignorant.

What's with all the Expressjet bashing lately, you sound like Larry. Last time I looked we set the bar higher in the regional world, just like AWAC. Besides paying bills is fun.

I was with a CAL captain the other day and was suprised by what he said about this. His spin was that we would have to outsource this flying mainly because of the other airlines period. 1) the company would not get the cost savings in labor cost so we would be at a disadvantage to the other network carriers. No surprise there. 2) We wouldn't get the quality of applicants. He felt people wouldn't leave the military or there current regional to be a fo on 170 or 190 or any other smaller plane. We also talked about the Q400 or any larger future possibility and his argument was still the same. Are people going to want to come to CAL to be a Q400 fo or a MD80/DC9 fo at delta/NW or a 737/airbus fo at united or southwest. I came from a dash8-200 and said I would have still came because of the opportunity of other things, but he thinks no one will come.
This is ridiculous. Does he think that the new applicants would rather go to a regional airline and fly a 30-50 seat turboprop for $50 an hour--or worse yet--a 70+ seat turboprop for $50 an hour, rather than the state-of-the-art E170/190?

Not only that, but how exactly is CAL negotiating with Skywest on scope unilaterally? I am assuming that the scope clause is not so weak that they could abrogate it unilaterally.

I hope your right......But what happens, oil at 130-140, with 500+ CAL furloughs and a looming bankruptcy. Will ALPA fold to save the senior guys their job. Or will we finally step up to the plate and say NO MORE freaking outsourcing!!!!!!

If you believe 500+ furloughs you can blow me. Won't be any furlouhgs and "you can take that to the bank".

yeah- probably not, maybe so- that's not his point-- the point is that if you're afraid of a furlough- then management has one over on you already. people vote in stupid ways when they are afraid.

for my vote- i'm very much over being afraid of having to do something else for a bit.

I'm sure I'm speaking for more than just myself..how many more I dunno... I am afraid of furlough. I want to stay at work but if I get the furlough letter I will not rush to sign some POS just to avoid the street. I hope no one above me will feel compelled to do so on my behalf.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back