• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL dropping Colgan?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Don't feed the troll people... wise up. Learn to use the ignore list.

You dont do much aerobatics at an airline so who cares? Military & regionals is apples and grapefruit. I have done both and it depends on the pilot

Sigh.

The sim tells a different story. I always chuckle at people who spend too much energy pointing to their training. Are you saying that had you not received military training, you would not feel qualified to fly a mainline aircraft? So you are not intrinsically capable of developing enough skill without the benefit of military training?

Somehow I doubt that is what you're saying.

Spend enough time training pilots and you learn that civilian/military and even total time and previous experience rarely gives you anything more than a general indication of the skill level of the pilot you will be training.

A high time RJ pilot flying a 70-seat jet is already doing the job that they will do at mainline. The idea that an F-16 pilot will somehow transition to an Airbus in a superior way than an regional jet captain (all other things being equal) is really silly. It's so silly that some people will actually believe it.

And regarding your upset scenario, if someone lets the airplane get into that situation, I guess I really wonder about their skills anyway. I will say that if I was flying along in an airliner and another airliner wanted to engage in aerial combat, I would gladly hand the controls over to the ex-mil guy.

But like I said, the argument is over and the answer is "it depends on the pilot".

Feel free to try and litigate a closed case, the industry has already shown that it does not matter to them.

Well having trained over a hundred new hires at a major carrier i will tell you in general the military guy will have lots less chance of having a problem in training and in most cases have an easier time during training..and I am a civilian trained pilot...

Unfortunately, Colgan is going nowhere..
(At least for 2 years)

And I do not mean that in a negative way towards Colgan crews. My first ever solo student is a Captain there (Q400) and I do not wish to see him or any one else loose their jobs.

But CAL currently has 147 pilots on Furlough and that should not happen without our regionals also furloughing or downsizing. I would like to see a clause that -
a) Puts furloughed mainline pilots in the Left seat of ANY commuter that grows while mainline furloughs.
b) Stops all growth at the commuter the second that mainline furloughs.

Don't get me wrong, I also think that the commuters should get preferrential hiring at their associated mainline carrier. One hand has to and should wash the other~

motch

Let's see - Displacing regional pilots out of the left seat for preferential hiring - No thanks.

You give us preferential hiring, we'll give you preferential hiring. If you want a guaranteed flow back, we want a guaranteed flow up.

All you have to do is tell the military guy how to call for a pushback. Once and it's done. Who would you rather have in an aircraft upset condition, a military pilot who has been through extensive training in acrobatics or your "typical" regional captain (3407dude)?

I did IOE with a military guy less than a year ago and he flew worse than a 500 hr wonder. He told me in flight once not to pull the power levers back so fast on a t-prop or I'd "shock cool" the turbine. Yeah, he was too high speed for his own good.....

was the Fedex crew in japan military? just curious.. does aerobatics help when trying to stop the inertia of a 200,000 lb object? close to the ground of course... flight instructing does give you alot of this kind of training.

Last edited:
Colgan is operator. Colgan > Pinnacle > Delta will bear the insurance.

For those of you who didn't know- Delta held the hull and liability insurance on the airplane.
Not if plaintiffs obtain a judgement against CO in one of the many lawsuits that have been or are yet to be filed.

We are over a year from this. If CAL dropped them, CJC would get an injunction seeing as there is no basis for assuming Colgan is unsafe.
However they could terminate the contract for any number of other reasons, such as performance, if they wanted to. There is undoubtedly a termination clause available to CO.

Let's see - Displacing regional pilots out of the left seat for preferential hiring - No thanks.

You give us preferential hiring, we'll give you preferential hiring. If you want a guaranteed flow back, we want a guaranteed flow up.

Please read again..
I never said that Captains would be displaced.
I said that-
ANY new aircraft would be filled with Furloughed pilots filling the Left seat.

Don't like that. Fine. Then that regional does not grow and it keeps the 73's/MD80 at mainline and mainline jobs are not lost.

As far as hiring, I do believe that there should be some sort of flow up/ flow down. But then again, I'm also in favor of a National Seniority List, ATP mins for ALL 121 carrier pilots and max 12 hour duty days!

Always
motch

Please read again..

As far as hiring, I do believe that there should be some sort of flow up/ flow down. But then again, I'm also in favor of a National Seniority List, ATP mins for ALL 121 carrier pilots and max 12 hour duty days!

Always
motch

and i want a pony

Latest resources

Back