• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL dropping Colgan?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I would think the Captain she last flew with would beg to differ.
While he was pitching up into the stall she retracted the flaps, by definition doing the wrong thing uncommanded makes her an incompetent, and by that virtue, well unsafe. If you dont have the skills to recognize that, well....
BTW after I made my first dollar flying as a commercial pilot I never paid another penny for anything related to operating an aircraft, except for a Jepp subscription(NOS was supplied), airlane rentals, or training. I got my ATP at upgrade.
PBR

While this F/O was no Scott Crossfield, didn't they both go out doing something stupid, and unintentional? I'm sure he didn't set out that day intending to fall out of a thunderhead in a thousand pieces.
Does that mean that he was also, using your own template above, incompetent and unsafe? Is that what the epilogue to his life should read?

Unfortunately, Colgan is going nowhere..
(At least for 2 years)

And I do not mean that in a negative way towards Colgan crews. My first ever solo student is a Captain there (Q400) and I do not wish to see him or any one else loose their jobs.

But CAL currently has 147 pilots on Furlough and that should not happen without our regionals also furloughing or downsizing. I would like to see a clause that -
a) Puts furloughed mainline pilots in the Left seat of ANY commuter that grows while mainline furloughs.
b) Stops all growth at the commuter the second that mainline furloughs.

Don't get me wrong, I also think that the commuters should get preferrential hiring at their associated mainline carrier. One hand has to and should wash the other~

motch

in a perfect systenm, like minor league baseball, a commuter captain would be captive to their major and wait for the "callup" to the big leagues.

as for the PM , it is understood why you would want to defend her if you knew her, but in the moments short as they were, she failed to monitor (she was the last line of defense)(that other precious pair of eyes) and she raised the flaps without a call to do so at the most inappropiate time . may she rest in peace. we can only learn from her and marvin's shortcomings. regrettably this can do nothing to console the families who lost loved ones that thought they were buying a CAL product. if they knew then what we know now, they would have never set foot on the ramp. ..in a million years. as they say, would you let this guy fly your family?

and what is the body count over at eagle, asa, comair and expressjet? are they also unsafe?

This is like those SAT/ACT questions we all took when you have a group of words and you have to find which one doesn't belong..

A) ExpressJet
B) Comair
C) ASA
D) Eagle
E) Colgan

so...high lord of pointless airline comparisons....which one doesn't fit?

I could see them dropping Gulfsream but who knows

While this F/O was no Scott Crossfield, didn't they both go out doing something stupid, and unintentional? I'm sure he didn't set out that day intending to fall out of a thunderhead in a thousand pieces.
Does that mean that he was also, using your own template above, incompetent and unsafe? Is that what the epilogue to his life should read?
Well,
While I knew Scott Crossfield, his situation was slightly different, he had only himself on board and had a long and distinguished career as a test pilot. There was a question as to whether or not he was having a medical issue and thus was unable to save himself . This F/O couldn't even do the right thing when it was needed most, a simple "check your airspeed" would have saved the day. She should have kept the coffee shop job, at least she might have been qualified for that. As far as Scotts epilogue, his career speaks for it's self and at least he died doing what he had spent the last 50 years doing so well, and did I mention he was SOLO, no one else was hurt.
PBR

Unfortunately, Colgan is going nowhere..
(At least for 2 years)

And I do not mean that in a negative way towards Colgan crews. My first ever solo student is a Captain there (Q400) and I do not wish to see him or any one else loose their jobs.

But CAL currently has 147 pilots on Furlough and that should not happen without our regionals also furloughing or downsizing. I would like to see a clause that -
a) Puts furloughed mainline pilots in the Left seat of ANY commuter that grows while mainline furloughs.
b) Stops all growth at the commuter the second that mainline furloughs.

Don't get me wrong, I also think that the commuters should get preferrential hiring at their associated mainline carrier. One hand has to and should wash the other~

motch

What about the more qualified military pilots? They should get preference at a major over ANY regional pilot.

in a perfect systenm, like minor league baseball, a commuter captain would be captive to their major and wait for the "callup" to the big leagues.

as for the PM , it is understood why you would want to defend her if you knew her, but in the moments short as they were, she failed to monitor (she was the last line of defense)(that other precious pair of eyes) and she raised the flaps without a call to do so at the most inappropiate time . may she rest in peace. we can only learn from her and marvin's shortcomings. regrettably this can do nothing to console the families who lost loved ones that thought they were buying a CAL product. if they knew then what we know now, they would have never set foot on the ramp. ..in a million years. as they say, would you let this guy fly your family?

What if your "big league" major was the Kansas City Royals of the majors?

This is like those SAT/ACT questions we all took when you have a group of words and you have to find which one doesn't belong..

A) ExpressJet
B) Comair
C) ASA
D) Eagle
E) Colgan

so...high lord of pointless airline comparisons....which one doesn't fit?

D) Eagle... they were the only one that didn't have a pay-for-training program in the 90's?

Also XJ is the oldest operating regional (over 60 years) and has had (knock on wood) NO fatalities. Although, they did have a pax stabbed in the leg with a windshield wiper, but I digress.

Latest resources

Back