• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL dropping Colgan?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You guys really don't get it do you? It's UNECONOMICAL to put mainline jets on those routes and/or give the Qs to mainline. Regionals serve a purpose to both mainline management and aspiring up and coming pilots. Management likes them because they are an economical source of lift and newbie pilots like them because they can build their time at the regionals beforing getting on at a major. Everyone actually wins in this scenairio.

Spoken like a true die hard regional guy. The more flying the regionals get/keep, the longer for you to get to a major and start a more fruitful career. If you get your head out of your a$$ and stop worrying about the economies of it, you will be rewarded with that career much sooner...

I am sure there are plenty of good pilots at your airline. But the combo of bad management and poor training department checking allowed at least 4 horrible pilots through the process. Every Capt. who flew with the crash PICs(won't dignify them by mentioning their names), when they were F/O carry some guilt/responsibility for not pushing their names back to the flight training office. The Capts who flew with the crash F/Os who didn't see/notice the deficiencies carry some also. If your company goes out of business, I will feel bad for the remaing crews, but they will have other opportunities to pursue, the victims of your coworkers will not have that opportunity. The victims bought tickets to travel, not fund a Starbucks Barrista's flight training.
Sorry if this is harsh, but there 50+ people who died in smoking craters who might argue this isn't harsh enough.
PBR

I didn't know the Captain but I knew the FO well and flew with her quite a bit so you're including me in your blanket statement. First of all she was a damn good pilot and I never had a safety issue with her nor did other Captains. How can I speak for other Captains, because ORF was a tight knit group and Captains discussed FO's regularly. When she came to work she was proffesional and a joy to fly with. She was hired on with 1500 hrs because she went the traditional route not the 300 hour wonderway. On top of that she had a good attitude and was eager to learn. She worked at a coffee shop, not starbucks, because she needed extra money to pay off flight training costs incurred by loans. Did you survive on your 20,000 dollar paycheck or were you financed and not have to worry? When her second job was taking a toll, she did the responsible thing and quit. I'm not selling the Captain down the river but when the airspeed decayed, the FO is configuring the airplane. If you have never flown a Q or turboprop, final approach is very busy for the PNF, bringing the gear down, lowering flaps, pushing up condition levers, and throwing switches and buttons on the overhead and pedestal. I'm not saying airspeed should not be included in a scan for the PNF during this time but understand her workload. 30 West hit the nail on the head with corporate culture because the average line pilot and line check airmen and sim instructors are a good group inspite of management.

With your take on things, Eagle should have had their doors shut ages ago, Captain feathering the wrong engine in a single engine situation short of RDU, Crew inattention in ice and holding leaving a crater in Roselawn. How did this happen, especially with their hiring standards, they only hire the best. As 30 West stated, even one person lost is a tragedy, but Colgan has been operating since 1965, please come up with a company's statistical loss rate for 45 years. There are some airlines that have killed more people in one flight than Colgan has killed in 45 years. Keep in mind, I am only talking in cold hard numbers, not the personal affect and devastation that comes from losing someone.

If you have never flown a Q or turboprop, final approach is very busy for the PNF, bringing the gear down, lowering flaps, pushing up condition levers, and throwing switches and buttons on the overhead and pedestal.

PNF was ditched for the term PM at many airlines, because it represents CRM more accurately. The FO was was 100% PNF, not a PM. God forbid he/she would have to move a few levers and swithces and still have to monitor the progress of the flight and other crewmember.

Spoken like a true die hard regional guy. The more flying the regionals get/keep, the longer for you to get to a major and start a more fruitful career. If you get your head out of your a$$ and stop worrying about the economies of it, you will be rewarded with that career much sooner...

No. If mainline jets flew where regionals fly today, the mainline would be in BK before you know it. The public demands frequency AND low fares. You can only get the two with using regional airlines.

No. If mainline jets flew where regionals fly today, the mainline would be in BK before you know it. The public demands frequency AND low fares. You can only get the two with using regional airlines.
Hey you RAH puke. AirTran/JetBlue/SouthWest. Plus I see a`lot of AA MD80's along with Delta 80's and NWA DC-9 doing a bunch of the "RJ" runs. You are flame baiting on every thread.

I'm not selling the Captain down the river but when the airspeed decayed, the FO is configuring the airplane. If you have never flown a Q or turboprop, final approach is very busy for the PNF, bringing the gear down, lowering flaps, pushing up condition levers, and throwing switches and buttons on the overhead and pedestal. I'm not saying airspeed should not be included in a scan for the PNF during this time but understand her workload.

Sorry man, but the FO very much SHOULD HAVE been looking that the airspeed. I've flown turbo props much less advanced than that Q so don't think I say this as a jet guy or something. I think the CA was the most at fault, but there was no help from the FO from the video I've seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxywEE1kK6I

Last edited:
First of all she was a damn good pilot and I never had a safety issue with her nor did other Captains.
I would think the Captain she last flew with would beg to differ.
While he was pitching up into the stall she retracted the flaps, by definition doing the wrong thing uncommanded makes her an incompetent, and by that virtue, well unsafe. If you dont have the skills to recognize that, well....
BTW after I made my first dollar flying as a commercial pilot I never paid another penny for anything related to operating an aircraft, except for a Jepp subscription(NOS was supplied), airlane rentals, or training. I got my ATP at upgrade.
PBR

CAL has in their contract a clause that says they can cancel the contract with Colgan "if there is an accident or incident that causes CAL great embarrassment."

HA!!! Okay, you ******************************, because you've seen CAL's contract, I'm sure...

Latest resources

Back