Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Let's hear about it.
Goose hits FO's windshield wiper.... crew screams
Windshield wiper goes into prop....punctures ice shield and stabs pax... pax screams
FA (in jumpseat with no idea whats going on) gets up after landing sees pax... FA screams

What are the odds????

colgan crashes a plane they fly for Continental and delta has to pay the Liability? wow

What about the more qualified military pilots? They should get preference at a major over ANY regional pilot.

That is so true! A regional pilot with four type ratings and thousands of hours in a 50 or 70 seat jet is clearly inferior to a 2000 hour fighter jock. Why, I bet that regional captain wouldn't even know how to call for pushback in an Airbus.

I've spent far too much time in the sim to fall for that one. The civ/mil debate is over, and has been over for a long time. The answer on who is better turned out to be "depends on the person".

That is so true! A regional pilot with four type ratings and thousands of hours in a 50 or 70 seat jet is clearly inferior to a 2000 hour fighter jock. Why, I bet that regional captain wouldn't even know how to call for pushback in an Airbus.

I've spent far too much time in the sim to fall for that one. The civ/mil debate is over, and has been over for a long time. The answer on who is better turned out to be "depends on the person".

All you have to do is tell the military guy how to call for a pushback. Once and it's done. Who would you rather have in an aircraft upset condition, a military pilot who has been through extensive training in acrobatics or your "typical" regional captain (3407dude)?

"acrobatics...." isn't that what they do in the circus? Seems like you may be well acquainted with "acrobatics" in that case, clown.

Yes, I'd definately prefer to have someone well versed in jumping through hoops rather than someone getting the plane greasy side down. How difficult can it be anyway?

Sigh.

The sim tells a different story. I always chuckle at people who spend too much energy pointing to their training. Are you saying that had you not received military training, you would not feel qualified to fly a mainline aircraft? So you are not intrinsically capable of developing enough skill without the benefit of military training?

Somehow I doubt that is what you're saying.

Spend enough time training pilots and you learn that civilian/military and even total time and previous experience rarely gives you anything more than a general indication of the skill level of the pilot you will be training.

A high time RJ pilot flying a 70-seat jet is already doing the job that they will do at mainline. The idea that an F-16 pilot will somehow transition to an Airbus in a superior way than an regional jet captain (all other things being equal) is really silly. It's so silly that some people will actually believe it.

And regarding your upset scenario, if someone lets the airplane get into that situation, I guess I really wonder about their skills anyway. I will say that if I was flying along in an airliner and another airliner wanted to engage in aerial combat, I would gladly hand the controls over to the ex-mil guy.

But like I said, the argument is over and the answer is "it depends on the pilot".

Feel free to try and litigate a closed case, the industry has already shown that it does not matter to them.

Who would you rather have in an aircraft upset condition, a military pilot who has been through extensive training in acrobatics or your "typical" regional captain (3407dude)?

Hmmmm.....

"Acrobatics involves difficult feats of balance, agility and motor coordination. Nearly any performance or sport which involves full-body activity-- especially in short, highly controlled bursts of activity-- can be considered acrobatics. Typical examples are, first and foremost, all the subdivisions of gymnastics and trapeze work, but specialized activities like ballet and diving could also be included. In a narrow sense, the term "acrobatics" refers to "acrobatic gymnastics," a specialized subdivision of gymnastics."

I'll take the military pilot that specializes in trapeze work and ballet...

Latest resources

Back