• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL Class Breakdown JUN06-SEP06

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That might be because the military guys no better than to go work for CAL. The only reason people apply is because they are the one of few hiring. Look at their contract and you'll see it's a piece of crap.

Well, this is one military guy that is interviewing with CAL soon and I'm excited to be doing it. I think CAL is a great airline and also has a very strong long range vision. If I get the good fortune of getting hired, I'll be very glad to work there. A 756 guy in my unit also flies for CAL and can't say enough good things about them. I recently met two other military guys (1 A-10, and 1 C-130) who have only good things to say as well. I think your data on mil guys not wanting to work for CAL is way off.

Maybe so, however they were pretty quick to furlough after 9-11. Not only that they made the announcement on a Saturday when the employees couldn't get any info. Not a way to do business if you ask me. Just my opinion.

Do you have any 121 experience to back that up? LJDRVR
Actually, yes I do. I am also a former military guy ( if you did not already pick that up by my handle). I'll say it again, fractional flying is a lot more demanding than 121. Now, once again having said that, it is no slam against 121 pilots. There are a lot of piloting skills that are perishable. I fly with retired airline guys all of the time. For the most part, they have a hard time adjusting to fractional flying. Are they bad pilots? No, just rusty pilots that haven't used certain skills in a long time.
Anyhow having done airline, military and fractional flying I find it strange that someone would think that hiring a Citation Shares pilot was a "gamble".

Maybe so, however they were pretty quick to furlough after 9-11. Not only that they made the announcement on a Saturday when the employees couldn't get any info. Not a way to do business if you ask me. Just my opinion.

We're still in business, the company is growing, things are on the up. Seems like we were the only major to react quick, survive and move forward without having the difficulties our competitors have had. Not just pilots were furloghed at CO on 9-11, the company made necessary adjustments quick across the board. While not something you would want, the leadership that made those decisions quick is probably why CO is going strong now. Everyone is back, we are hiring 64/mo. and have been doing so since June '05. Carry On!

Interesting topic here on the comparison of military/fractional/121 gigs. Military i can't speak for personally, however my father and brother were/are military pilots so I have a little idea. Nothing but respect here for those guys, the only few I don't enjoy flying with are the ones that show up to work thinking every flight is a "mission". (Ice-Man, the later years)

As far as 121/Frac. pilot jobs compare, I have experienced first hand. I have thousands of 121 time, including F/O regional, Capt at regional, and 737 old school and NG airline time. I am currently at a fractional as a Captain.

This fractional job is the most challenging job i've ever had BY FAR. It's not even close to comparing how easy overall an airline job is. At the airline, everything is done for you....fractional the Capt. has to decide EVERYTHING. I miss the days of an airport analysis book, a dispatch release complete with flight plan, fuel load, wx, weight and balance done, knowing I can get back out of some airport if i land there because the airline has already figured it out, knowing exactly what to expect when i land and begin a taxi b/c the airport is familiar, alternates already chosen by the company, people to clean and service the airplane (including the crapper), company mechanics at almost every station, CSR's and F/A's to deal with pax... I could keep going here.

Someone earlier mentioned that the tough part 121 pilots have to deal with is F/A's and Tug drivers.....come on man. Dealing with F/A's at your descretion is waaaaay simpler than some rich ash-hole screaming in your ear during a go-around in congested airspace IMC, talking with ATC and flying the published miss all at the same time. Having a tug push you around in congested ramp space is the best, it's out of your hands....now i'm taxiing an airplane at night around a crowded, not well lit ramp and it's all on me. I'll take a tug driver anyday!

Listen as I said, I've done both...infact i have 4 times as much airline time than frac. I like the airline gig better, but frac flying requires tons more thinking and planning. Why you ask did i leave 121?

I left my last 121 gig for a few reasons, but one reason was to get more PIC time b/c that's what airlines want to see. The frac. job is giving me that and now that i have a good amount of PIC, CO is asking me why would i leave the 121 737 right seat gig? I can't freakin win here.

If they only knew what it was like.

Can't wait to get back to the country club airline gig...a 4 day trip will seem so short:)

Interesting gamble? I find your remarks an interesting choice of word(s); it may be good thing if you are wearing some mint flavored zapatos at the time of your post? ----

Considering CS hiring is very selective (experience-wise, as well as from a human resources perspective). BTW, most hiring for Shares pilots these days consists of a large group of recently retired 121 pilots, of which, some are recently retired CAL pilots.

G

people are so spring-loaded to the negative on here. i thought the quote was in reference to the CitationShares guy taking a gamble on Continental. ie: why leave a stable job at CS and start at the bottom with Continental?

i think it's a good move, but i know that most frac guys don't leave their position.

just another angle to digest...

Congrats Scrapdog, It's a great place to be. First year is tough but the investment is worth it.

My guess is that Captain Overs had some problems filling out the application. It's "know" not "no". U no what eye meen?

I assure you that the set of skills used at a fractional are at least 3 times what any 121 pilot has to use. For example; fractional pilots fly under part 91, part 91k and part 135. many times all in the same day. No slam against 121 guys but fractional flying is far more demanding in almost every way.

You try giving I.O.E. to a wonderkid iPod backpack wearer, whose most complex aircraft was a Seminole, then we'll see what's more demanding. But this is no slam to the 91/135 guys.:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back