CAL Bene. questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just a couple more questions.

My training email shows me staying in the Airport Marriott. Are there restaurants and grocery stores within walking distance? I'm trying to decide if I should drive my car from Pittsburgh (23 hours) or just rely on the hotel shuttle for food.

Also, what cellular service would you suggest. I'll be giving up the old work phone in a few weeks. The wife uses Verizon and I was leaning toward them to have the free cell to cell minutes. I'm planning on bidding the 73 and will be trying to get to IAH as soon as possible. I'd like to have a service that works in Mexico (if there is such a thing).

Just a heads up on the hotel - I had the Marriot scheduled as well for my training. About 4 days prior to going, they switched it to the La Quinta. The class after me had the Marriot as well and stayed for about a week before being switched to the La Quinta as well. They are also putting quite a few newhires into the Crown Plaza (about 15-20 min away). Most of the recur's are staying in the Marriot. Be prepared for something else.

In my opinion on the car - don't bring it. The military re-imburses you to drive, CAL surely doesn't! One of two buds in your class will have wheels to get you around here and there. The hotel service will be fine to get you to the training center and back.

Good luck - welcome aboard!

Just a heads up on the hotel - I had the Marriot scheduled as well for my training. About 4 days prior to going, they switched it to the La Quinta. The class after me had the Marriot as well and stayed for about a week before being switched to the La Quinta as well. They are also putting quite a few newhires into the Crown Plaza (about 15-20 min away). Most of the recur's are staying in the Marriot. Be prepared for something else.

In my opinion on the car - don't bring it. The military re-imburses you to drive, CAL surely doesn't! One of two buds in your class will have wheels to get you around here and there. The hotel service will be fine to get you to the training center and back.

Good luck - welcome aboard!

Are the rooms single occupancy or do you have to buddy up?

The vacation passes also accrue over time. If you have 8 left at the end of 2007 and get 10 on 1 Jan 2008, you'll have 18.

Commuting to A reserve is tough IMO. Even though it's a 9 hour call up, scheduling can change you to B reserve on short notice. IE, you're on A reserve. Scheduling calls you at 9PM and says start tomorrow you are on B reserve at 6AM. That's 9 hours rest. They then call you at 6AM and tell you that your push is at 9AM. That would be a shI+y senario, but possible. The good news is that you're not on reserve for more than a few months.

Single rooms.

That sucks. So there is no point in bidding between A and B reserve. They both suck. Guess that something that needs to be changed on the contract.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back