• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

rk772

Here we go STEELERS!!
Just a few questions about travel.

Once full travel benefits kick in, is there a yearly charge for the wife and kids to travel.?

Is there a charge for the employee to commute on a CAL or Expressjet aircraft. (there was at Eagle)?

Will my parents have travel benefits?

Do they give out buddy passes for the wife's parents.

Thanks

Once a year you can change your "significant other" travel companion. Your kids are there till 18 or 21 (didn't care cuz mine's 4!). The charge for domestic coach is 10 + 2.50 security fee each way for everyone in your family. It doesn't matter if the flights on express or CAL. There is a commuter pass, but the changed it for the worse a few years ago and now its probably not worth it. Your parents will have benefits but your in-laws will be stuck with buddy passes (10 a year I believe).

Hope that helps.

There are also vacation passes that are awarded every Jan for employees with at least 6 months of service with the company at that time. The number of vacation passes varies with who/how many you have on your pass program and they are usuable for your family members in your program. These are free and have higher boarding priority than personal travels that cost money.

I think I've asked this before but I can't find the answer.
What is the callout time while on reserve.

The wife an engineer and is now looking for a job in Houston. Were trying to determine where to live so I can be within driving distance to the airport.

in IAH and CLE it's 2 hours to the cockpit door. In EWR it's three hours to push time.

A & to B Reserve

There are actually two forms of reserve at CAL (covered somewhere on here before). A reserve is 24 hours/day and you have 8 hours to show/9 hours to push. B reserve is broke up into blocks for call out and it is the standard two hours to show/3 hours to push. With the longer call out time on A reserve, you get called first and fewer hours of guarantee per month (72 vice 76).

Just a couple more questions.

My training email shows me staying in the Airport Marriott. Are there restaurants and grocery stores within walking distance? I'm trying to decide if I should drive my car from Pittsburgh (23 hours) or just rely on the hotel shuttle for food.

Also, what cellular service would you suggest. I'll be giving up the old work phone in a few weeks. The wife uses Verizon and I was leaning toward them to have the free cell to cell minutes. I'm planning on bidding the 73 and will be trying to get to IAH as soon as possible. I'd like to have a service that works in Mexico (if there is such a thing).

Airport Marriot is between Terminals A & B at the airport. no grocery anywhere close, unfortunately. i think the hotel provides mini-fridges in select rooms. ask for one and you might get lucky.

there is a flight attendant that will rent a mini fridge to you while you're in training. might be posted on the break room wall at training center. not sure.

i wouldn't drive the 23 hrs unless you are sure to get Houston as a base. buddy up with some guys in training and you'll get some groceries.

i have Cingular service and it very reliable. don't know about Mexico/Canada, but i've flown with people who use Verizon for Mexico/Canada with good results and pricing.

drive your car if you must. it certainly is handy. but training goes by fast and you will spend a great bit of time at the training center doing CBTs.

Call the Marriott the day before your class and ask about the fridge. I had no problem getting one.

Someone in your class will more than likely have a car; you can designate him/her as the grocery getter.

If you still have your part 121 ID, bring it with you. It usually takes about three to four days to get your CAL ID. In the meantime, you may want to go to the terminal to eat as the Marriott hotel is very expensive. The only way you're getting into the terminal is with an ID.

Congratulation and have fun in training, it's a very relaxed and professional experience.

Latest resources

Back