CAL 48/month indefinitely

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Mr Hat said:
He IS talking about the PIGS...thats why its time for CAL to live up to its word. Those folks went through an interview, sim ride and were hired by CAL....now CAL is saying that they want to hire other people in front of them. This has nothing to do with the Flow through, these are hired folks who interviewed just the same as any off the street guy would but are being discriminated against because of where they currently work. There I said it.

Yea, I am talking about the PIGS. It is not right that an airline hire someone in 2002, put them in a pool, then hire people in 2005 and integrate them with the guys hired and put into the pool 3 years earlier. So, I hope that CAL will take at least 35 PIGS per month until they are gone from XJT. Anyone hired at XJT prior to 6/22/98 was offered an interview after the flow through was cancelled in 2001. The size of that group was around 385 pilots. Of those 385, some chose not to interview. Of the ones who chose to interview, 254 were hired and put into a pool in 2002.

After that, the only thing an XJT guy has over anyone else is a preferential intervew. Nobody really knows what that is going to entail at this point. From what I have heard, XJT pilots will not have to fill out the application and a certain percentage of people interviewed will be from XJT. The preferential interviews will be offered in seniority order to XJT pilots. However, this is not official information so it is most likely not completley accurate.

Last edited:
AlbieF15 said:
Actually, General...if you read the fine print the son is Plato III. We have some mutual friends from AU days. He also has one of the most interesting (and tragic) stories of surving a UPT midair I have ever heard.

Auburn University?

jbDC9 said:
Umm, what word would that be? I don't mean to be a dick, but the flow through is done, so after Schindler's List and the PIG guys... then what?

Yes at this point I think we would be happy if Flight Ops would stop acting childish and honor the employment offers they gave out almost three years ago to the PIGS. I have friends who had good ins to go to Jetblue and Southwest, but wanted to wait for CAL based on their pool status. I feared at the time they made this call that these stupid games would come along and unfortunately it appears to be reality.

Although I do have to say the former flowbacks who I've told this to have agreed that it is complete cr@p and some have gone as far to express that view to those up the ladder. See it is possible to have some harmony between a regional and mainline. What affect that will have on the BS being played by CAL remains to be seen?

I have seen the word "hired" used here as well as placed into a "pool". Were these XJET guys actually given letters of employment confirmation and a class date? If so when this class date was rescinded, what written promise or statement was given to these pilots?

Hold the flames people, I am just asking not making a statement or implication.

AlbieF15 said:
Actually, General...if you read the fine print the son is Plato III. We have some mutual friends from AU days. He also has one of the most interesting (and tragic) stories of surving a UPT midair I have ever heard.

War Eagle!

Hey!!!

those XJT guys paid good money for their jobs, CO should honor that type of comitment to aviation by hiring them...............for only $50,000......Financing available to qualified buyers only.......sales tax not included!!!!!!!!

I have seen the word "hired" used here as well as placed into a "pool". Were these XJET guys actually given letters of employment confirmation and a class date? If so when this class date was rescinded, what written promise or statement was given to these pilots?
When these pilots were "hired" CAL was not HIRING so they were put into a POOL. Yes they all recieved letters of employment but no class date because this all happened around the spin off of ExpressJet which also happened around 9/11 with the promise that their class dates would be as soon as CAL started hiring again.

Again, these pilots went through the same interview that the current interviewees are going through....they did the same sim ride that the current interviewees are going through...they were given the same employment letter than any current successful interviewee will get. Under the FTA there were no interviews....only a "meeting" to verify your info. It was a non event.

I know that most of the time pilots just whine over nothing but in this case, the hired ExpressJet pilots have a legitimate beef. This is not a wish for a future FTA, the unions already let that one fall....all we want is that CAL honor the promise that they made to the ExpressJet pilots who went through the CAL pilot applicant process and were offered employment. Wouldn't you feel discriminated against if you got hired somewhere and people who interviewed after you were passing you by to go to class? Well, we have about 200 of those people who are being passed over, losing seniority and over the life time of their career possibly millions of dollars. All because they work for ExpressJet. Sillys I tell you.

Now, to those who are interested in working for CAL... don't take it the wrong way. CAL is a good airline to work for and you'd be lucky to be on with them....this is a political argument. Don't read it the wrong way. I am not trashing CAL nor its pilots.

Mr Hat said:
When these pilots were "hired" CAL was not HIRING so they were put into a POOL. Yes they all recieved letters of employment but no class date because this all happened around the spin off of ExpressJet which also happened around 9/11 with the promise that their class dates would be as soon as CAL started hiring again.

I guess I am really out of the loop on this one. Basically they were given letters but the correspondence from CAL didn't specify exactly when they would be called if hiring starts, just at a later date in the future when hiring resumed. Specifically, there was not a representation made as to the ratio, method etc. etc..is that correct?

What has been ALPA's response? Specifically from the XJET side of the house and National?

Last edited:
Boeingman said:
I guess I am really out of the loop on this one. Basically they were given letters but the correspondence from CAL didn't specify exactly when they would be called if hiring starts, just at a later date in the future. Is that correct?

No date was given, but you have to realize this was after 911 and LOTS of CAL pilots were given super seniority rights at XJET as per the FTA and a LOA during the transition. Things were in dissaray and XJET guys were being furloughed to make way for CAL guys etc.

So any date at that point seemed make believe anyway. No one new if any airline let alone CAL would be around the next few years following 911. Recently CALALPA was busy caving in early and giving their concessionary TA. So the XJET thing was very low priority.

NOW XETALPA MEC, CALALPA MEC, and XJET management have been working with CAL management for some sort of an agreement. ALPA national has nothing to do with this and in my opinion would not care anyways unless this somehow affected the mainline guys.

Basically it is CAL management that seems to be the road block with these pilots positions at CAL. XJET pilots seemed perplexed at why CAL management just won't take all of these guys first and then hire off the street.

The rest of the XJET guys are in limbo, most have applied, but rumors abound that CAL will not hire XJET guys. You can imagine that scenario 10 year XJET waiting to be ratioed in with off the street hires and one of those off the street guys is an XJET FO with 1 year has some jet PIC before coming to XJET. :confused:

Nothing official has been released by either party yet, but if it does it will be posted here. Good luck to everyone applying and if you get hired think you could give an 7.5 year XJET a REC letter to CAL!;)

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back