• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL 48/month indefinitely

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Excuse me for my ignorance...but does PIG = preferential interview group?

RichardFitzwell said:
Hat or Truck,

Do the PIGS want Express DOH for pass travel?

Yes, and as of right now, they are getting it, per a letter from CAL management to the XJT MEC.

Below is a copy of a post I put on calforums on this issue. Why this is even being brought up by some CAL pilots is beyond me frankly and leaves me scratching my head in a serious way.

-Neal

Posted on calforums:

As someone said above, if a pilot in the PIP group chooses to not go to CAL, then he will still bump that "most junior CAL captain" if they are both pass riding. As a matter of fact, we have pilots at XJT that will bump many 757 captains at CAL. Go look up some of our 80xxx employee number pilots who were hired in the late 70's and early 80's.

This is not a "pilot" issue. It is an "employee" issue. We have hired many CAL employees to be pilots here in the past few years. I met one just the other day (EWR gate agent turned XJT pilot). He retained his pass travel boarding date.

Lastly, this isn't a collective bargaining agreement issue but rather, a CAL corporate policy issue. Pass Travel is not discussed in your CBA (nor ours). CAL management owns the policy via the management right's provision in both contracts. They can do whatever they want unfortunately. You saw that with their unilateral changes to buddy pass fees and commuter pass fees.

Personally speaking (taking off my "ALPA hat"), I don't understand the big point here but maybe I am missing something (and if I am, I'm sure some of you guys will have no problem pointing it out). We have pilots today that will bump some of your pilots and just because they choose to transition to CAL you want them to no longer be able to bump those pilots despite the fact they have worked for CAL and XJT for roughly 10 years? Talk about unionism and unity.

What you guys are proposing is the first step towards wanting XJT employees to board after CAL employees, thus promoting a "second class citizen" type of system, which will only cause CAL employees to board XJT airplanes after XJT employees, only further dividing our employee groups (notice I didn't say "pilot" groups). Is this what we really want here guys?

-Neal

I stand corrected. Yes they are keeping their pass travel. No it doesn't matter just as Neil said....as a 98 hire at XJet, I bump a CAL 00 hire anyway. At least for the time being. When did that letter come out Neal?

BluDevAv8r said:
Why this is even being brought up by some CAL pilots is beyond me frankly and leaves me scratching my head in a serious way.

I am bringing it up because it WILL affect me.

I was hired by CAL in 2001. The PIGS were hired by CAL in 2002. Right? They were HIRED in 2002. That’s the argument so they should be ahead of all the off the street hires. Now some are fighting to have their CAL new hire dates pushed forward to their Express new hire dates for pass travel.

Even though CAL hired me in '01, I had my hire date adjusted back because I was furloughed for 3 1/2 years. Fine. Now close three hundred NEW CAL pilots from XJET would like to be able to bump me and hundreds of other CAL pilots hired at CAL before them for pass travel. Please tell me I’m wrong and this isn’t the way it is. Maybe I’m confused but that doesn’t make sense.

XJET is not CAL. Some at XJET have even mentioned a lawsuit against CAL if things don’t go their way. I’m tired of hearing about the XJET pilots that feel they DESERVE this and that. I wonder why CAL has done away with the flow through? These ‘new hires’ should be new hires for everything including pass travel. IF you don’t like it, stay at XJET. There are plenty of good people that will do a good job for Continental.

IMO scraping the flow through is a good thing. CAL’s hiring department can now hire whomever it wants and the ‘I’m owed this attitude’ expressed by a few will be gone. Welcome new hires with a positive attitude.

RichardFitzwell said:
I am bringing it up because it WILL affect me.

I was hired by CAL in 2001. The PIGS were hired by CAL in 2002. Right? They were HIRED in 2002. That’s the argument so they should be ahead of all the off the street hires. Now some are fighting to have their CAL new hire dates pushed forward to their Express new hire dates for pass travel.

Even though CAL hired me in '01, I had my hire date adjusted back because I was furloughed for 3 1/2 years. Fine. Now close three hundred NEW CAL pilots from XJET would like to be able to bump me and hundreds of other CAL pilots hired at CAL before them for pass travel. Please tell me I’m wrong and this isn’t the way it is. Maybe I’m confused but that doesn’t make sense.

XJET is not CAL. Some at XJET have even mentioned a lawsuit against CAL if things don’t go their way. I’m tired of hearing about the XJET pilots that feel they DESERVE this and that. I wonder why CAL has done away with the flow through? These ‘new hires’ should be new hires for everything including pass travel. IF you don’t like it, stay at XJET. There are plenty of good people that will do a good job for Continental.

IMO scraping the flow through is a good thing. CAL’s hiring department can now hire whomever it wants and the ‘I’m owed this attitude’ expressed by a few will be gone. Welcome new hires with a positive attitude.

Richard,

Here is the bottomline - Right now...today...I, as a 3/00 hire, can bump you on a non-rev pass. All of the pilots in the PIP group can also bump you today, even though they are still flying at XJT. There are pilots who were hired in 1980 at XJT who can bump 757 captains today. But as I said above, it isn't a "pilot" issue but rather - an "employee" issue. We have employees here at XJT who have worked for CAL/XJT for over 40 years (rampers, agents, etc). They all can bump you as well. Lastly, we have recently hired a lot of CAL employees as XJT new hire pilots. Guess what? They retained not only their employee number but their CAL DOH for pass travel purposes as well.

I won't respond to the anti-XJT pilot stuff because it is a futile discussion and one that gets us nowhere fast. What I will say, however, is that had you flowed back to XJT (I understand that you might not have been senior enough in the first round but could have came later on of course but also understand why you wouldn't want to have done that...although a few did), your viewpoint on some of these issues might be different - many OTS flowbacks had a huge change of heart on these types of issues after flying here for a few years.

-Neal

Last edited:
SuperFLUF said:
First class of "off the street hires" started on May 17th.

Don't know what the makeup of that class was though.

I heard those were guys already hired and had their classes cancelled after 9/11.
I guess you are right technically they are off the street hires, but not guys from the latest round of interviews. Supposedly they start June 7th.

You would think a Continental employee for 10years of employment would get at least an interview.....Or hear something one way or another...

Latest resources

Back