"CACTUS" starts tomorrow!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As expected today out west I hear:

Controller: Cactus 123 climb and maintain FL230.

Pilot: USair climb to FL230

Controller: I said Cactus 123 climb and maintain FL230

Pilot: Oops, uh, yea, sorry......Cactus 123 climb and maintain FL230.

Surprisingly, it was quite the opposite. Because of the USA tag on the TRACON strips, everybody was calling both East and West flights "USAIR". In every case, the flights just responded back with "Cactus".

Additionally, I didn't hear a single "Cat Piss". I think that shows a lot of class.

I heard a few callsign ommissions, and responding with only the flight number.

One time it was followed by "Its hard to say it..."

8 of 10 call sign attempts were screwed up today on the radio.

50% by East pilots, 50% by the controllers.

I like the guy who just combined them into "USAIR/CACTUS 538".

A small victory I assume but I'll bet every Cactus dude that hears that on the radio smiles a little inside.

No offense to either side but I feel for both groups. I hope you guys find peace.

Gup

Nope. I'd rather hear them say " Welcome to McDonald's drive through, can I take your order please."

I would be interested in hearing how someone can feel sympathetic to the Taliban of aviation. Perhaps I'm missing the justification for what they have done.

Here's the best one I heard today:

ATC: USAir XXX, er Cactus XXX climb to 15,000.

Cactus: Cactus XXX climbing to 15,000.

ATC: Sorry, it may take a while to get used to this.

Cactus: Hey, they can call it whatever they want as long as we GET what WE want.

What's sad is that USAir east's real complaint is w/ our seniority system in general. How there are winners and losers. They could have addressed the corruption in their own MEC. They could have addressed the apathy in their own ranks. (93LOA's and not one proposal for a bylaw change requiring a vote for all LOA's? ???) Not one proposal for a NSL. Not one committee created for looking into the feasability of a NSL?

Look at UAL- their NSL proposal is what USAir should have done a LONG LONG time ago. No matter the end result-= some pilot group had to recognize a problem.

USAir just got reactionary and is attempting the same form of politics that Bush2 has. It'll feel good in a dramatic sort of way- while failing miserably in the end.

What's sad is that USAir east's real complaint is w/ our seniority system in general. How there are winners and losers.
You should amend that to read, "How there are perceived winner and losers." Too many people figure since the Easties cried so loudly they must've gotten screwed yet any non-Eastie who's read Nicolau's decision knows they didn't lose anything. They just didn't get what they felt entitled to.

There were a lot of remarks on 123.45 on the NAT yesterday as a Cactus gave a turbulence report at 25W.

You should amend that to read, "How there are perceived winner and losers." Too many people figure since the Easties cried so loudly they must've gotten screwed yet any non-Eastie who's read Nicolau's decision knows they didn't lose anything. They just didn't get what they felt entitled to.

Preaching to the choir.
But noone can argue that being on the bottom of the list after 16 years, whether it's AAA or AA or UAL is losing in the seniority game.
And that's my point- seniority does NOT equal longevity.

Latest resources

Back