• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cactus And Usair

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So OK maybe i wasn't super clear in my post - I didn't mean unprofessional in a bad way so to say. I actually think Speedbird is hands down the best callsign out there. Clipper - another great one that should be retired like a great athleats' jersey number.

You should do some research into what it took for us to get the call sign Cactus!!

WD.

USAir, the legacy airline no longer exists. AWA bought USAir, kept the USAir name and is now a re-branded and expanded LCC. Just like Valujet buying Airtran, and taking on the Airtran name due to public perception.

All of this West vs. East stuff is getting amusing as well as old. Now we have the call sign debate "cactus" vs. "usair" with the word on the street being "flag" is being considered as a remedy.

Poor choice for obvious reasons yet if they go through with that decision it will provide years of comedy on ATC frequencies.

Okay, so I haven't done a whole lot of research and I've talked to a few AWA pilots to get a brief understanding.

Usair was in serious financial trouble so AWA bought them out? The AWA kept the USair name, paint scheme and all that crap? WHY????????????

Working at ORD all the planes are USAir, but the west bounds are Cactus to LAS and PHX, while the Eastbounds to PHL, PIT etc...are Usair. If there was a merger, why two callsigns, and why didn't AWA keep the name. I just ask for a brief explination as I just don't get it.

I understand for now why cactus is cactus going to PHX and LAS, and usair with there CLT, PHL, PIT etc... runs but I don't remember this happening with TWA and AAL

Well....a little different view. HP didn't have any money either. They had a CEO who sold the 'idea" of a merged airline. HP was bad (they wont admit it now) and US Air was (actually still is) worse. Parker sold the idea to invetors. HP didn't BUY US. The investors that were sold on the merged idea bought US under guidance from HP. The call sign mess is indicative of what a total HR disaster this merger is. It is going to be years before the dust settles. The HP guys made out like bandits with the seniority merge list. Everyone of them (HP) is complaining about the complaining cause they know they won that one.

Does anyone really care what call sign they use?? I could care less. A$$ Bag would be fine.

US Air is a dog and pony act right now and hopefully will change in the future, but that is YEARS away.

I'll say it again, the new call sign should be "Bad Beat." It's a poker term used by whiny players who lose hands they think they should have won (East) and occasionally by players who actually did lose a hand they should have won (West).

I'll say it again, the new call sign should be "Bad Beat." It's a poker term used by whiny players who lose hands they think they should have won (East) and occasionally by players who actually did lose a hand they should have won (West).

"Hellmuth"?

Well....a little different view. HP didn't have any money either. They had a CEO who sold the 'idea" of a merged airline. HP was bad (they wont admit it now) and US Air was (actually still is) worse. Parker sold the idea to invetors. HP didn't BUY US. The investors that were sold on the merged idea bought US under guidance from HP. The call sign mess is indicative of what a total HR disaster this merger is. It is going to be years before the dust settles. The HP guys made out like bandits with the seniority merge list. Everyone of them (HP) is complaining about the complaining cause they know they won that one.

Does anyone really care what call sign they use?? I could care less. A$$ Bag would be fine.

US Air is a dog and pony act right now and hopefully will change in the future, but that is YEARS away.

Or better yet...HP could have waited about another 2-3 months and picked up a ton of your stuff at the fire sale which was IMMINENT! SWA was circling right along with all the rest....so don't THINK that YOU (aaa) did any favors for HP! They were a much happier group prior to the merger BS!!

Latest resources

Back