Cactus And Usair

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Lrjtcaptain

Okay, so I haven't done a whole lot of research and I've talked to a few AWA pilots to get a brief understanding.

Usair was in serious financial trouble so AWA bought them out? The AWA kept the USair name, paint scheme and all that crap? WHY????????????

Working at ORD all the planes are USAir, but the west bounds are Cactus to LAS and PHX, while the Eastbounds to PHL, PIT etc...are Usair. If there was a merger, why two callsigns, and why didn't AWA keep the name. I just ask for a brief explination as I just don't get it.

I understand for now why cactus is cactus going to PHX and LAS, and usair with there CLT, PHL, PIT etc... runs but I don't remember this happening with TWA and AAL

5 pages minimum.

Cliff notes version.

- US Airways name kept for brand recognition

- Plan was to go to "cactus" once certificates merged.

- East pilots claimed it was unsafe for them to have to say "cactus" and inferred it might lead to another crash as they are already under much stress.

- Company delayed callsign change until somepoint in the future

- Now we have identical looking planes at congested airports with different callsigns - UNSAFE (LAX, ORD, PHL, LAS, BOS) - it's just a matter of time before there's a major incident when ATC gets confused.

- Word on the street is that there may be a different callsign implemented - "flag" is a common rumor.

Last edited:
I thought going with the USAirways name had to do with keeping the routes and gates that went with the certificate?

I thought going with the USAirways name had to do with keeping the routes and gates that went with the certificate?
Nope. The name wouldn't have mattered. A better choice would've been a totally new name but of course our CEO knows best.

5 pages minimum.

- Now we have identical looking planes at congested airports with different callsigns - UNSAFE (LAX, ORD, PHL, LAS, BOS) - it's just a matter of time before there's a major incident when ATC gets confused.

No problems with the two callsigns here at ORD. We have ASDE-X and USair cactus are only running about 3 or 4 flights an hour, If we can keep all the United Expresses seperated, then we can keep you two seperated.

while I like the "cactus" callsign I think it is more professional to use the name of the airline - especially for a major or legacy, as they say these days. Just my 2 cents.

my vote: keep US Air.

while I like the "cactus" callsign I think it is more professional to use the name of the airline - especially for a major or legacy, as they say these days. Just my 2 cents.

my vote: keep US Air.

So in your world British Airways (speedbird) is un professional. How about China (dynasty) or Aer Lingus (Shamrock) they unprofessional too??

Not one of your better post Learlove!!!

WD.

So in your world British Airways (speedbird) is un professional. How about China (dynasty) or Aer Lingus (Shamrock) they unprofessional too??

WD.

It'd be cool if Delta changed their call sign to "widget."

WD.

So OK maybe i wasn't super clear in my post - I didn't mean unprofessional in a bad way so to say. I actually think Speedbird is hands down the best callsign out there. Clipper - another great one that should be retired like a great athleats' jersey number.

Latest resources

Back