• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cabotage Sabotage

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I seem to have heard that a certain Democrat Pres had Osama offered on a silver platter, but was too buisy trying to retrieve a lost cigar to take Qatar up on their offer.... things that make ya go HMMMMM

Say again over

Serving domestic routes has what to do with Bin Laden?

The real question is what would be the effect of a foreign carrier having a majority position in a United States carrier. This not about protecting pilot jobs at all regardless of how some would try to make it that.

The second part of the first, is what would majority ownership of a foreign airline by a United States carrier do to world alliances.

Anybody who thinks that Cabotage is not a threat to domestic U.S. jobs is a complete and total dumbass. You have your head so far up the Republican party's rear end that you are nothing more than a bought and paid for puppet...just like Bush - our illegitimate president.

We need someone who is not beholden to big business with all of their campaign contributions. We need someone who is supported by small acts of giving from average joe citizens like you and me.

Check out this candidate and join the revolution. Read the "On the Issues" link. The momentum is growning. We need all pilots to get involved this time to oust Bush and Company. Your career literally depends on it.

http://www.deanforamerica.com/site/PageServer?pagename=policy_statement_labor

Re: Say again over

Publishers said:
Serving domestic routes has what to do with Bin Laden?
Latest intel suggests that Al Quaeda will not try to use U.S. aircraft in future "9/11" style attacks. They will used foreign based aircraft, assuming that security will be less strict. Allowing foreign carriers greater access to our airspace/airports will only increase the risk.

There is no possible benefit to the U.S., either from a security aspect or a job aspect, to allow this trend to continue.

LAXSaabdude.

Pura Vida said:
Check out this candidate and join the revolution.

Would that be the french revolution? Communist? Or is it the Intifada?

Dean recently said he doesnt want to prejudge Bin Ladens guilt and wants to wait for a jury trial. What a freaking Idiot.

Dean is more dangerous to your career, and everyone elses in the free world, than any piece of legislation ever could be.

I will admit that it is nice to see a democrat finally do the republican thing and finance an election with hard money. And rest assured that Dean is a very popular choice in both parties for the democrat Presidential candidacy .

Last edited:
I think you are taking Dean's remark about Bin Laden out of context. Weren't the Nuremburgh trials by jury? Dean is simply saying that no one is above the law and we all must follow the law, even if the guilt is obvious. In other words, we must extend due process and if that includes having a jury trial then so be it.

No democratic candidate could ever hurt the piloting profession as much as a single Republican could. For the sake of your career man...open your eyes and see what is going on around you! Our profession is under attack from all sides. Only a president with a strong labor sense of fair play will be able to level the playing field again. Dean is not a middle of the road-sit on the fence type of guy. He is a hard hitting progressive candidate that will tell you like it is right to your face without whitewashing or circumventing the facts...unlike Bush and the Republicans in Congress who look out for the corporations rather than the individual citizens.

Originally posted by Pura Vida:

Anybody who thinks that Cabotage is not a threat to domestic U.S. jobs is a complete and total dumbass. You have your head so far up the Republican party's rear end that you are nothing more than a bought and paid for puppet...just like Bush - our illegitimate president.

I disagree.

Look into what Cabotage means. The real US jobs' concern is relaxing nationality/ownership laws. That is the major goal of the EU and that is where the threat to US jobs exists. There are plenty of other threads where this has been mentioned, but if the EU gets this concession, they will then push for labor laws to be relaxed. Then, US jobs are in jeopardy.

Cabotage is the "eighth freedom" right to begin a flight in one country that flies to a different country and continues service, with the right to pick up passengers in that second country, and continue to a second destination. Break of gauge rights included in that freedom would allow the airline to downsize the aircraft, if appropriate. This does not mean that the service will be able to continue to a third, fourth, or fifth destination.

So, is cabotage going to kill US jobs. NO. But, allowing Richard Branson to own a majority of a US airline, with a relaxation of the current US labor laws would threaten jobs in the US.

Branson made a deal in Australia which allowed him to own an airline there; however, the airline has to employ Australian nationals for labor needs. If he owns an airline in Australia, and Virgin can fly to Australia, then why would cabotage make a difference in Australia? It doesn't. And, because the government there required him to employ Australians, jobs were created, not lost. We must require the same in the US, although that is not what has been proposed.

The General has pointed out that "it is not likely for his mother to be taking a flight on Aeroflot from NY to LA" --- or, however he puts it. And, I'm pretty sure he's right.

Keeping our current labor laws intact, or even making them tougher, is paramount. I won't get into the political debate other than to say that both parties have been deeply involved in the current movement of open skies. I don't like the current trend in the ongoing negotiations - and will vote appropriately to prevent a loss of jobs in the US - to the extent that it is possible.

Pez D. Spencer.... Always good for insightful, pragmatic and fact based post that challange one to think logically and not emotionally.

Know whadda mean dude? He's like...kewl and stuff....

Pura Vida said:
No democratic candidate could ever hurt the piloting profession as much as a single Republican could.

Even if that were true, which it isn't, I would never sell out my Country for the sake of my job.

Latest resources

Back