• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cabotage, can PAC stop it?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If foreign carriers open US hubs and bases and hire US pilots at higher wages, is that bad? I think that would force US carriers to increase pay accross the board to compete for labor. Doesn't that just make more opportunities for ALPA to derive members? I would think ALPA would be looking at all those high-paying dues opportunities.

Since ALPA is so obviously in bed with airline managements, I can't help but feel this is more about US airlines defending revenue than ALPA defending pilots.

Gen,

I hope your right.

Well they have the best international mgt team money can buy. They have been right 99% of the time so far. As Tim Clark said that HAM route years ago was a bit pre-mature. They seem to have reached critical mass. I imagine they did not but $160 BILLION dollars worth of aircraft just to park them on the ramp. The US is the lowest hanging fruit on the vine and the US carriers would be easy to beat in the service/product category. They aren't going to come right out and say the 10 year plan is to beat the US carriers on their most lucrative international routes.

But I think it's smarter to take GenLee's word for it. Nothing to worry about here. I'm sure he knows more than the guys making millions per year managing the company or those willing to spend over 100 billion on new orders.

Hopefully ALPA is tired of losing and will step up to the plate and help stop the gulf carriers. Emirates likes to claim they are injecting 100+ billion into the US economy. But if they decimate the airline industry in the process then they have just provided short term cash in exchange for destroying thousands of US jobs and decades of revenue. I can't imagine our politicians are so corrupt as to sell out the industry. Look what happened to Qantas.

Emirates will never EVER fly a cabotage route. (ie. JFK-LAX) No way that will happen.

The threat is wide body int'l. (ie... senior legacy guys)

JFK-Milan is not cabotage.

Well they have the best international mgt team money can buy. They have been right 99% of the time so far. As Tim Clark said that HAM route years ago was a bit pre-mature. They seem to have reached critical mass. I imagine they did not but $160 BILLION dollars worth of aircraft just to park them on the ramp. The US is the lowest hanging fruit on the vine and the US carriers would be easy to beat in the service/product category. They aren't going to come right out and say the 10 year plan is to beat the US carriers on their most lucrative international routes.

But I think it's smarter to take GenLee's word for it. Nothing to worry about here. I'm sure he knows more than the guys making millions per year managing the company or those willing to spend over 100 billion on new orders.

Hopefully ALPA is tired of losing and will step up to the plate and help stop the gulf carriers. Emirates likes to claim they are injecting 100+ billion into the US economy. But if they decimate the airline industry in the process then they have just provided short term cash in exchange for destroying thousands of US jobs and decades of revenue. I can't imagine our politicians are so corrupt as to sell out the industry. Look what happened to Qantas.

Hi, what I posted was from an analyst, who correctly pointed out that the big 3 US carriers are geographically protected. The big 3 are getting stronger, and fortifying their US hubs. The Gulf 3 are more of a threat to European and SE Asian airlines, since the Gulf hubs are half way between them.

As far as Qantas goes, they never did have a large European presence, and mainly cared about UK connections to Australia. Well, they still have 2 daily 380s to LHR, and then you can connect some QF pax to European cities they never wanted to fly to. It's a win win for both, but QF gave up on most of Europe anyway.

Re-read that article I posted above. Your threat to the big 3 are as he put it "overblown."

Bye Bye---General Lee

Emirates will never EVER fly a cabotage route. (ie. JFK-LAX) No way that will happen.

The threat is wide body int'l. (ie... senior legacy guys)

JFK-Milan is not cabotage.

The author in the article I posted pointed out that UAL flies 757s from most of the smaller UK cities to Newark, their largest hub on the East Coast. He stated if UAL can only fill a 757 to NYC ( EWR), how will EK fill a 777-300ER consistently? UAL has tons of connections to cities all over the US from EWR, but only flies 757s.....

And again from that article:

"Fortunately, the U.S. carriers can hide behind favorable geography and strong U.S. hubs. While Emirates and the other Gulf carriers are well positioned to steal traffic from European and Asian competitors, their hubs cannot offer reasonable connections for most international routes to and from the United States. There are also very few routes like New York-Milan, where Gulf carriers could feasibly compete "away from home."

Bye Bye---General Lee

If There was a commitment to use PAC funds solely for this purpose perhaps more would participate. Unfortunately we all know the recipients of PAC funds are all too often the very people most of us are voting against. I'm not willing to chance it

The enigma of the major airline pilot

The militantly anti union highly paid union worker

The author in the article I posted pointed out that UAL flies 757s from most of the smaller UK cities to Newark, their largest hub on the East Coast. He stated if UAL can only fill a 757 to NYC ( EWR), how will EK fill a 777-300ER consistently? UAL has tons of connections to cities all over the US from EWR, but only flies 757s.....

And again from that article:

"Fortunately, the U.S. carriers can hide behind favorable geography and strong U.S. hubs. While Emirates and the other Gulf carriers are well positioned to steal traffic from European and Asian competitors, their hubs cannot offer reasonable connections for most international routes to and from the United States. There are also very few routes like New York-Milan, where Gulf carriers could feasibly compete "away from home."

Bye Bye---General Lee

Why does ALPA have a beef over Emirates if they are not a threat?

I think what he means is - yes they are a competitive threat - but the REAL threat is to the European legacies, underscored by Motley Fool.

fv

The enigma of the major airline pilot

The militantly anti union highly paid union worker

It IS an interesting point, Wave. However, I'd venture to say that it's less "anti-union" per se, and more "anti-the other stuff" that a lot of the more militant unions and typical 'pro-union' politicians support. Do you not see any difference here?

Bubba

Latest resources

Back