C172RG.... Soft field T/O

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Cool

O/T, but man, I think the 172RG is so cool!

The new FBO I'm gonna be training at has one, and I can't wait to fly it. I'm switching because the place I'm currently training at has scheduling issues (Too many pilots + Not enough planes = me flying 1-2 times a week instead of 4-5)

I said it was cool, not complicated. Its the only 172 with retractable gear as far as I know, which is the main reason I think its cool - I have only flown fixed gear airplanes so far.

One of my instructors taught me to start with no flaps then put in 10 degrees flaps around 50-55 knots. I am not sure if this is proper technique, but it would pop the plane right off the ground. We would then fly in ground effect until reaching sufficient speed.

BTW, this instructor earned his wings in WWII.

Any opinions?

Patmack,

Your reply is unprofessional and unkind. Why would you rain on the parade of a new pilot like that? He is obviously excited about the RG and should be. It is a new aircraft to him. He has 8 hrs. To you and I the RG may be just another 172, to him it is higher horsepower, complex procedures, CS prop, retractable, 30 kts faster, etc.

Hex, keep up the enthusiasm and watch out for wet rugs.

172driver, thanks, I will keep up the enthusiasm, and Patmack didn't diminish it in the least.

Patmack, you make a good point. I will still be mainly flying fixed gear 172s, but I do want to learn and get comfortable with retractable gear so I am good to go for complex endorsement.

I'm not looking to train in the RG for anything I can do in a regular old 172, for less $$. Still a 172? yea, but at least it doesn't look like a tricycle with wings when you retract the landing gear! That's my only beef with the 172. It is a great, fun machine, but looks ridiculous.Kinda like my WRX - looks like an ugly Hyundai wagon.

FYI - a Subaru WRX is a rally-design with a $23k sticker price that pulls the 0-60 and 1/4mile times of a Porsche Boxster. The only downside? its butt ugly.

Hey Patmack18

- Er, to say I "like" it would be an understatement. I'd a joy to drive. as for handling, Well, its a really light car (~3000-3100 depending on standard/auto trans, and sedan/wagon) with a really tight sport suspension and front and rear stabilizer bars, so there's almost no body roll at all, and I am really pleased with its cornering. The full time AWD kicks ass. every time I drive in the rain I am glad I have it. It doesn't mean you dont have to be careful on wet roads, just that you don't have to be slow. Test drive it I guess. it's also got a very low C/G because of the boxer engine. Oh, yea, the engine. It's well balanced, but there is a turbo lag until about 3000rpm. But, even so its lightning fast. I really love the turbo. Its just plain cool, and will impress anyone who rides with you. Uh, what else.. The automatic is supposed to be nice for an automatic, but I have a 5-speed stick. Its kinda stiff, but not too bad. Gas mileage varies wildy on this car. I usually get about ~15mpg out of it, but I haul asphalt around town delivering pizza. My mom claims around 20-25mpg when I let her borrow it. go to the subaru website, it has more info - all the automotive press have really raved about this car, and it was Car and Driver's Car of the Year (2002 is its first year available in the US). Don't just take my word for it. I just think its a whole lot of car for the price. Plus subarus are really well-made. I've had no problems with mine so far, but I've only got 34k on it. Oh, one more thing. If you like a good sound system in your car... replace the factory one in this. Its crap!

But for the most part I think its way worth its price.

If you want a station wagon/sedan thats safe and has a nice ride, its good, if you want a really fast, turbocharged car that handles really well, Its good too. I have the wagon, and its way more dorky than the sedan, but I get alot of use out of it. Also I think it just might be the fastest station wagon EVER.

Latest resources

Back