C172RG.... Soft field T/O

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PanAm24

What is the recommended flap setting for a soft field takeoff in the 172-RG Cutlass? The PIM specifies zero flaps for short field takeoffs but doesn't cover softs.

RG soft-field flap setting

What does your school recommend?

You might ask your instructor about using ten degrees. Sometimes, manufacturers recommend against using flaps because debris can be flung against them.

The RG POH states " if the GW is below 2550 (100 below gross) then 10 degrees of flaps may be used to reduce the ground roll for soft field procedures".;)

In all the 172s I've flown, it's been SOP to use 10 deg. of flaps for soft and short takeoffs. I can't imagine yours would be any different. I wonder why it says to takeoff clean whend doing a short field. That first 10 deg. doesn't add much drag, only lots and lots of lift. Weird...

In all the 172s I've flown, it's been SOP to use 10 deg. of flaps for soft and short takeoffs. I can't imagine yours would be any different

The flap settings for short field takeoffs in the C-172 POH depend on the model you have. I don't have the books with me now, but I seem to remember the POH for the 172N calling for zero flaps for short field t/o. However, the POH for the 172P calls for flaps 10 degrees for short field t/o.

I believe the Cessna 172L manual does not recommend any flaps for short or soft&short field takeoffs. It states that using flaps will shorten the ground run, but a slower climb and longer distance to clear an obstacle will result.

However, it also states that if you do use flaps for takeoff, you should leave them extended until the obstacle is cleared and not retract them.

The original poster was asking specifically for information regarding the C-172RG.
The POH for that airplane stipulates that if take-off weight is <2550 lbs., 10 degrees is recommended. Anything >2550, no flaps.

I have to agree with flymach, just what he says is the correct / recommended way to do the takeoffs. The same procedure is in my companies maneuver handbook.

The guys talking about using 10 degrees in the RG less than a particular weight are correct. As far as a straight leg 172 goes it depends on the model. The 172N states use no flaps for a short field takeoff and 10 degrees for a soft field. It also elaborates some: Use of 10 degress flaps is reserved for minimum ground runs or for takeoff from soft or rough fields. Us of 10 degrees flaps allows safe use of slightly lower takeoff speeds than with flaps up. the lower speeds result in shortening the ground run and total distance over a 50 foot obstacle by approximately 10%. However this advantage will be lost if flaps up speeds are used, or in high altitude takeoffs in hot weather at maximum weight where climb would be marginal with 10 degrees flaps. Therefore use of 10 degress flaps is not recommended for takeoff over an obstacle at high altitude in hot weather.

Latest resources

Back