C17 Totalled in Bagram

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Pkober,

Stepping back from this and giving it a second look, I will agree with you. "Babysit" was a wrong choice of words. Apologies. "Help" or "be there for" would be a better choice. Also, I retract that the "unit was not combat tested." I don't know their history and I am sure they have done great things in the lizard. I also agree no ANG or reserve unit needs their hand held by AD. Your disco belt comment made me laugh too. How true.

If we cover all our aircraft with disco belts there is no way they can get hit by ground fire.

Kikuchiyo said:
pkober: The Jackson, MS, 172nd Airlift Wing finally got their C-17s, completing the transition from C-141s. Rather than get activated, they cut a deal with AMC to "help out" with airlift, while remaining unactivated Guard volunteers.

Part of the deal is that only they will fly their unit-assigned airplanes. This is different than how AMC normally operates a strategic airlift stage, by whichever crew is available flying whichever plane comes thru on the next mission. CHS crews fly McChord and McGuire plans regularly, and vice versa. In order to simplify the scheduling of them with their own airplanes, they go straight to Incirlik to operate from there for their full rotation, then straight home to swap out crews. I don't know how long they stay out (normal strat crews are on 2-week orders) as that too may have been part of the deal.

At Incirlik, crews get per diem and stay in normal billeting, versus the stages at Manas and Qatar where they're on field conditions. While many of the AD and Resv crews that keep going out to the stage (and have been for 4 years) would love to go to the 'Lik, the Jackson guys are filling most of the crew requirements there, so very few other crews get to. It's a sore subject in the C-17 community and is breeding very bad feelings for Jackson from everyone else.

Of course, if one wants to get hired there later, one does not speak ill of their ability to cut such a deal with AMC...

In fairness, I must provide an update to the above. I'm currently here at Incirlik, and the last Jackson crew is set to leave in the next couple days. They'll still be operating their own jets, but they're moving to Ramstein to take over the Medevac mission there from the C-141's.

From a civi, I just want to thank all of you for your sacrifices. This thread really illustrates just how much stress and pressure you guys endure on a daily basis. You’re all heroes in my book.

Fly safe

sbav8r said:
From a civi, I just want to thank all of you for your sacrifices. This thread really illustrates just how much stress and pressure you guys endure on a daily basis. You’re all heroes in my book.

Fly safe

I will second that! Also, cheers to the crew chiefs and ground personnel who work around the clock to keep them flying.

McNugget said:
I will second that! Also, cheers to the crew chiefs and ground personnel who work around the clock to keep them flying.

And cheers to the warriors in the beer line who give you crap as they circle you out! Earn that Tax Free! HOOAH!

pkober said:
I don't have to know anyone in that unit to know that they don't need there hands held. If you're a reservist you don't need your hand held either. Helpful advice is always appreciated.

My last ,and forth, deployment to Iraq we had the wing commander speak to us. He is an AD Zoomie type O-6. He sat down in front of us and said " I know all you Guard guys have multiple tours under your belt, but it doesn't matter. Get with the active duty they know what's going on." Yeah, thanks Guy. You worry about disco belts and we'll worry about getting the mission done. The AD guys we were to get all the info from had never been in theater. Classic lack of understanding.

I hope your last comments about not knowing who we are playing against isn't implying I need to spend some time playing in the sandbox.

Stay safe

CLAMBAKE

Was he a "Venerable" 0-6? We were talked to by a guy who used to fly so low a well thrown rock could of taken him out.

Vandal said:
And cheers to the warriors in the beer line who give you crap as they circle you out! Earn that Tax Free! HOOAH!

What's that mean? What warriors in what beer line give who crap as they circle you out? Guess that one went right over my head.

McNugget said:
What's that mean? What warriors in what beer line give who crap as they circle you out? Guess that one went right over my head.

Sorry that's an Al Udeid reference...

Latest resources

Back