C17 Totalled in Bagram

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Magnum -

Here's a scenario that happened to while I was flying out of the Frankfurt stage. Hopefully, you'll realize what some of these young Aircraft Commanders are up against.

My crew was tasked to fly a mission into Iraq. When we arrived at the aircraft, we noticed our OBIGGS (system that pumps nitrogen enriched air into the fuel tanks as fuel is burned) was written up as inop. This system minimizes the affect of ruptured fuel tanks due to hostile fire. The OPORD specifically stated that we could not fly into the Iraqi AOR without this system. Maintenance told us the system was fixed, it would work properly when we got airborne, and it just wasn't working on the ground since we had a full fuel load. We disagreed, but we we wanted to move the mission. We told them we would fly it to the Iraqi border, but we would go no further if the system was not working properly. Could we operate the aircraft safely in the AOR without this system? Yes (as long as we didn't get shot at). But the OPORD clearly stated that we had to have the system while operating in the AOR.

Long story short, the system didn't work. We called command and control at the Iraqi border, explained the situation, and proceeded back to Frankfurt. After we turned around, we received an AERO-I call (plane's cell phone) from the stage's ADO. He asked us what the hell we were doing. When we explained the situation to him, he told us the deadhead crew in the back had to get to another stage and we needed to overfly Iraq and proceed to the next location. We told him we could not do it unless he could get us a waiver for the OPORD.

Upon landing in Frankfurt, we walked into Stage Ops where 6 CGO's were working along side the O-4 ADO. As we entered, he lit into us and told us we needed to "take our tampons out." Luckily for us, we were a reserve crew with three O-4's as the pilot crew. We explained that he was wrong, he was unprofessionally showing his ass in front of his CGO's, and there were no openings in the CHS reserves for folks with his name.

When we showed for the following mission, we were chatting with another crew member in Ops. He informed us that the same thing (OBIGGS failure) happened to a new active duty AC. When the crew informed the stage that they were turning around, the ADO told him that he would no longer be an AC if he returned to Frankfurt.

Is this an isolated incident? I think so and I hope so. Although I've seen some buffonary in the stages, I truly believe most folks in command do a great job and preach that safety is paramount. Does that mean that there aren't any idiots on power trips out in the system? Absolutely not.

Magnum, how would you have handled the situation if you were a new AC and your commander was telling you to "pull out the tampon?" I'm sure you would've done the right thing. Me - I would've been tempted to "pull it out" and "move the mission." After all, my commander was telling me to do it. Right?

Well done. You gotta love being Guard/Reserve.

CLAMBAKE

how did a b17 end up in iraq? was it used in their airforce or left over from ww2?

mav

...different MWS, different world...but...

One of the greatest benefits of being in the ANG is the (almost) complete lack of fear about career ramifications. You can focus on doing what you think is RIGHT, not what gets you promoted. Now...you need to take care of your unit, and you want your ANG team to have a good name, so you don't do stupid stuff. But when it comes down to calling it like you see it (like this C-17 story) I do like the fact that I am part of the ANG because I want to SERVE, not because I WANT TO GET PROMOTED. I'm sure there are toolbelts hanging out in the ANG side too, but at least in my MWS and my state I've seen some real leaders and good folks driving the bus.

Delta,

I'm not sure why you addressed the post to me as this thread is kinda old. I just clicked on it to see what Albie had to say. At any rate, it sounds like y'all did the right thing, and it also sounds like the O-4 was out of line. And yes, I would've been tempted to do the mission, but without being there I can't say what I would or wouldn't have done.

And that was a great comment about the CHS Reserves! I also agree with Albie...the Guard rocks.

All of these posts are going in circles. The final say on a mission getting done safely is to the AC. Every reg is written to protect the AC. If he has a legit reason to scrub the mission, he can scrub it. No A**hole ADO can make him, or "get somebody else who can" by the regs. The problem comes from the oldheads not teaching the young guys more about the regs and giving them the info that allows them to tell that ADO to have a sh*t sandwich, sit the f*ck down, and solve the problem. It is easy to try and guilt a young eager pilot into bending rules or making the wrong decision cause they want to do the job. The best defense for them is we as the old head guys tell them. Next time you do a stage where you now they are bending the rules, try to get the word, especially to that you capt or even lt ac that looks like he is scared to death to make the wrong call. If he knows his regs, they will protect him. Good luck and fly safe.

Latest resources

Back