• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

C-5 down at Dover (merged)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The term normal for normal landing weights, as previously stated is only a limit on a foot per minute at touchdown... i.e. no assault landings above that weight! Simple ground affect would keep you above the limit from a normal approach when landing above normal weight. I assure you that a surprisingly high number of landings occur above the stated normal landing weight! Not a big deal.

A friend at Dover emailed me last night with the following. Immediately after take off hit a massive flock of gulls. Number two stalled and was shut down. Declared emergency, started a return. All three of the remaining engines were coming apart. Hit hard, tail broke off bounced, a couple of times(notice the photos, no skid marks).on last impact, nose gave way. I`m just the messenger.

Seagulls

retired guy said:
A friend at Dover emailed me last night with the following. Immediately after take off hit a massive flock of gulls. Number two stalled and was shut down. Declared emergency, started a return. All three of the remaining engines were coming apart. Hit hard, tail broke off bounced, a couple of times(notice the photos, no skid marks).on last impact, nose gave way. I`m just the messenger.

No offense, your friend is smoking crack.
I visited my friend in the hospital yesterday...no birds...only one engine shut down.

Messenger

Not shooting...just my attempt at dry humor...This is nothing that wasn't released, but they were returning after #2 was shut down...the rest is still a mystery. We should have an official answer soon since the plane is relatively intact, we have the FDR and the crew can tell their stories. The gear really absorbed a lot of the crash. It was reassuring to see that the emergency equipment worked and that the nitrogen system that is used to remove oxygen from the fuel tank eullage and the fuel may have prevented a fire. In the local paper, the fire department said that there was 3 inches of fuel on the ground when they were trying to get the pilots and engineer out and they had to figure out a way to get the 50' ladder braced because the ground was "spongy with fuel"

lstorm2003 said:
#1 The object of the game here should be to figure out what happend so we can prevent it from happening again in the future.

#2 There is nothing wrong with speculation so long as everyone knows it is just that. SPECULATION!

#3 EVERYTHING is easier to figure out with the benifit of hindsight. Unless the pilot or crew was grossly negligent, NO ONE should be blaming them for this crash.

My $0.02

I agree. In that spirit I will post verbatim the contents of an email that was just forwarded to me. I CANNOT vouch for the accuracy of the information and I DO NOT know the source:

From a C-5 pilot...He sent it to me with two requests: remove his name and send it to any pilot I wish. His reasoning was, if/when this is the official cause, maybe if other pilots read it it will save someone's ass. I agree.
----------------------------------

Hi All

This has really turned fascinating. A good buddy of mine was a (xxxxx) guy in the wing at Dover and still has connections. He gave me the current skinny on the crash--none of it official--until the board says so.

It was not a bird ingestion but a "reverser unlock" on the #2 engine that started this. They lost a C-5 with all aboard a few years back in Germany for the same cause. This crew however shut down the engine before an actual unstow took place. The airplane was well over 700K gross weight with FOB of over 300K. The airplane had the newest version of the C-5 flight deck with big panel glass. Unfortunately, only one of the three pilots was really comfortable with the new equipment and FMS.

The crew decided because of their weight to fly their approach to the longest runway, which unfortunately was only being served that day by a Tacan (fancy VOR for you civilian types) approach. They also decided to fly a full flap approach to keep the approach speed down. This isn't prohibited--just highly discouraged. The recommended flap setting for a three engine approach is Flaps 40. During the approach the crew became worried about not having enough power to fly a full flap approach and selected flaps 40--which they were now too slow for. Here's the point all you glass cockpit guys should sit up and take notice about. The one guy who was familiar with the new glass and FMS was also the one flying the aircraft. He became distracted inputting the new approach speed in the FMS. There was also some confusion about just who was flying the A/C while he had his head down updating the speed. Long story short--the got way slow and into the shaker, and actually stuck the tail into the trees and it departed the aircraft first. The nose pitched down hard and the nose and left wing impacted next snapping off the nose. Several cockpit occupants suffered spinal compression injuries. The guys sitting at the crew table behind the cockpit actually came to a stop with their legs dangling out over the ground.

The miracle of this was the left outboard fuel tank was broken open and none of that fuel managed to find something hot enough to ignite it and the other 300k. Again, a bunch of very lucky people.

So I guess there really is a reason we bitch at guys for hand flying and making their own MCP and FMS inputs.

Again, I am posting this VERBATIM and UNVERIFIED for general background only. Almost all of my C-5 experience is as a PAX sleeping in the back. I have however, experienced the pitfalls of trying to type and fly at the same time.

I received almost the same e-mail from a "Fred" buddy. Un-verified as well, although he flys Fred, he is NOT involved with the Dover unit so he cannot confirm either.

All that fuel....very lucky nothing decided to be real hot at the time.

Does the C-5 have the ability to dump fuel?

Also, do the new C-5 avionics allow you to set up an "tactical FMS approach" to provide you with a backup GPS glideslope?

The C-5 can dump fuel.
The accident plane supposedly has the new avionics and I don't know what they can. Being a glass cockpit I'd like to think they'd have that ability.

Latest resources

Back