C-206 Jump Pilot needed

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
PA-44Typed said:
But what part of PART TIME DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND!!!

That part where they claim its part-time, but expect you to sit around all day waiting for loads to fly, thus not being able to make any other income. I'm a jumper too, I know the routine.

I live 20 minutes from there and work a full time non-aviation job.. if it was an occasional 'on-call' type gig would I be 'diluting' the profession? I am not looking for a flying job so I won't call, but this may interest you guys: I heard that the Marina outfit also has (or had) a twin otter....

Don't know about this outfit. but when I flew skydivers I did about 9-12 loads in the summer, and 3-4 loads in the winter. I enjoyed the experience and did it once or twice a week on the side so the $$$ was never an issue.

I flew at this DZ winters of 97-98 and 99-00. Skydiving is always seasonal but this DZ never closed. If you are in the area and would like to do something other than say "right rudder, right rudder, right rudder" check it out.

5 bucks a load is pretty standard these days. I started in 1995 flying static-liners for 2 bucks a load in a 182. If you want to build a lot of time it's a great way to get experience so you can apply to bigger DZs to fly twin-turbines. Most of those outfits want prior diverdriving experience.

You all don't know me so look at my website if you want to get an idea of who I am. www.DiverDriver.com

You won't get rich off flying skydivers. It's a lot of up and down. But you are hardly ever straight and level so your stick skills will improve. It's not for everyone. It happens to be that Jumper Dumping/Diver Driving was good to me and I built up a lot of twin turbine time fast.

Don't know about now but Monterey Bay used to fly a Twin Otter that was pretty nice. Getting that "foot" in the door might lead to other flying. You never know.

$40 call out guarantee and $5 per load starting on the 9th load is what I was making in a 182. Wasn't doing it for the money. Strictly a weekend gig.

I also got a free lunch which I usually ate in the plane and free beer at the end of the day.

Also claimed all naked skydiving flights. Nothing like a naked negative g pushover to float body parts.

Hey man, skydive Monteray huh?? Ill come down and fly loads on my day off......I jump at D. Berhicks joint up here in Santa Rosa. Do you know Jackie and Colin?...do they want 300 in caravan or 300tt?? I have no stationaire time but im sure it cant be too hard to fly. Just like a 210 with fixed gear. I have plenty of hours....

Mark

Last edited:
DiverDriver said:
I flew at this DZ winters of 97-98 and 99-00. Skydiving is always seasonal but this DZ never closed. If you are in the area and would like to do something other than say "right rudder, right rudder, right rudder" check it out.

5 bucks a load is pretty standard these days. I started in 1995 flying static-liners for 2 bucks a load in a 182. If you want to build a lot of time it's a great way to get experience so you can apply to bigger DZs to fly twin-turbines. Most of those outfits want prior diverdriving experience.

Chris, this job is advertised as a "weekday only" position. That, to me, means they have somebody for the weekends(which are much busier). Also, since this is a 206 only position, that means that when the Twotter flies....this pilot sits around and makes nothing. I'm curious why they're looking for another weekday pilot. Doesn't Randy work during the week? Can't he fly both?

I hate to see it when DZ's have numerous pilots sitting around when only one aircraft will fly. If they pay by the day, or at least a minimum per day....it's not so bad....but when it's strictly by the load, it sucks. I flew jumpers many years ago while in school strictly to build some time and fund my own jumping. When there was an open slot on a load I wasn't flying, I could take it for free. Luckily, I was paid a halfway decent wage too(average of $300/week more than 10 years ago). Plus, I got free beer every night. :D I also did some of the MX that didn't require an A&P, and assisted the A&P with the larger jobs. It was cool though, I learned a lot about the mechanical side of airplanes.

If I could make good money(meaning more than I make now) to fly jumpers, I'd do it in a heartbeat. It's an awesome crowd, lots of fun, and extremely easy flying. Of course, that means I'd have to learn how to spot.... ;)

Latest resources

Back