C-2 gears up on live TV

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ToiletDuck said:
from www.cnn.com So somewhere in that book it says to shut it off. I'm curious as to why A) it says to kill the engine and B) it took "hours" to go through the emergency procedures.

Video is on CNN btw.
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/08/15/emergency.landing/index.html

Propellers and blades tend to go left when they separate from the engines on standard rotation installations. In the Convair 580 we recommended feathering the right engine in gear unsafe landings to protect the cabin from penetration if the props struck the pavement.

~DC

Last edited:
The "hours" were to burn off the fuel, as was mentioned.

I will find ZERO fault with anything this crew did. That was as good as it gets, and anyone who feels the need to criticize can only hope YOUR next gear up landing goes as smoothly and uneventful.:rolleyes:

Donsa320 said:
Propellers and blades tend to go left when they separate from the engines on standard rotation installations. In the Convair 580 we recommended feathering the right engine in gear unsafe landings to protect the cabin from penetration if the props struck the pavement.

~DC

I guess that makes sense. If the plane's full and you can't move passengers out of the propeller disc plane, that's probably worth the risk. I was thinking the props were composite.

On the Saab 340, the carbon fiber props are designed to shred into long filiments in the event of a gear-up landing. They aren't supposed to have any fragments detach, with the exception of the leading edge erosion cuffs (which have entered the fuselage in past accidents).

Just looked at the E2 NATOPS (the C2 isn't where I can get to it, but they are basically the same plane minus the hat) and it says to shut down the starboard engine at the pilot's discretion in preparation for a gera-up landing (also, the engine didn't fail, as someone posted earlier).

They dumped fuel and were circling to run the checklists, trying to troubleshoot, and to decide what was best to do. I imagine it also helped them to dump less fuel.

Regardless, they did a great job, and on live TV no less! Two LTs with probably far less flying time than many of us. I always find that amazing!

Latest resources

Back