• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

C-2 gears up on live TV

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The reporter on the helicopter that CNN was talking to said the COD pilot shut the right engine down before landing to "avoid extra damage" or something like that.

Yeah, the Navy teaches their pilots that when they have an emergency, be sure to do it big! If you're a man, you'll shut an engine down too, to give yourself that extra little challenge. :rolleyes:

Yeah, what's up with the right engine being shut down? It makes a go-around a dangerous situation.

EagleRJ said:
Yeah, the Navy teaches their pilots that when they have an emergency, be sure to do it big! If you're a man, you'll shut an engine down too, to give yourself that extra little challenge. :rolleyes:

For some reason, that's the first thing I've gotten a good laugh at on this board. Good one liner.

I never did understand the "save the engines" idea people have when they gear up. I've seen this before too. Let's create multiple emergencies. We'll be heroes!

viper548 said:
Yeah, what's up with the right engine being shut down? It makes a go-around a dangerous situation.

I know nothing about the COD, but I'll guess that the engine failed first, and a loss of hydraulics prevented the landing gear from being extended. I'm sure there's a backup system, but maybe it failed for some reason.

Just saw it on TV, they took the arresting cable and stopped upright, one prop still turning.

It did not look like the airframe was badly damaged, I'm sure that bird will fly again.

Massey told CNN from his helicopter that the plane circled the area for hours as the crew went through emergency procedures.

The crew, he said, "went by the book to determine exactly what they were going to have to do in order to get this aircraft on the ground safely."
from www.cnn.com So somewhere in that book it says to shut it off. I'm curious as to why A) it says to kill the engine and B) it took "hours" to go through the emergency procedures.

Video is on CNN btw.
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/08/15/emergency.landing/index.html

Last edited:
I'm sure the circling was to burn off fuel, in preparation for the emergency landing.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back