Buying a light twin

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

C425Driver

A friend asked me to help research and buy a light twin for his business. I've got plenty of time flying them, but no experience with acquiring one.

I'm looking for good resources of information on aircraft selection, as well as all of the costs associated (direct/indirect) with operating one. Anyone know any books, websites, etc.? Would it be worth it to join NBAA for a single plane operation such as this one?

Also, if anyone has any advice or suggestions, I'm all ears. The airplane will be used primarily as a businees tool traveling throughout Florida, with some personal trips to the Keys and Bahamas. It will not be used for air taxi, with the average trip hauling 2-4 people, including the pilot. He seems to be leaning toward something newer, such as a 1998-2002 Seneca V or a Baron.

Thanks in advance for your help.

C425Driver

I can't say enough good about what these individual aircraft reports say. I was partnered with a couple of guys on a twin cessna and after we bought, I saw the report on our plane...it was dead on.

http://www.aviation-consumer.com/airplanereviews/

You can get them to fax or download to you the individual reports for the aircraft you are interested in, or buy the books. Money well spent. At least you'll have an idea as to what you and your investors are getting into.

I flew my one third share doing business flights with my employer...it was a great deal for the both of us.

Good luck in your endeavors...and one word of advice...no matter how much your future aircraft owner thinks he wants a DUKE...don't let him buy one!

dont have much time in a seneca, but about 250 hours in a b-58. great airplane and easy to fly.

Is he dead set on a twin? Bang for the buck an A-36 or a C-210 are great aircraft.

The useful load in the real world, there is not a lot of diff. when comparing an A-36 and a C-310.

Maintenance and fuel costs are the killer with a twin. Also insurance. If money is not an issue (when is it not) offer the idea of a large single. Another option is a Malibu Mirage. I am not sure the price, But I bet they are comparable to a twin. Never flown one, they look great though. Maybe someone with some Malibu time can give us the details.

If he is dead set on a twin A 310 is an OK choice, if the pass. Are not prone to being airsick. Barons are nice ships as well.

Mark

He seems to be leaning toward something newer, such as a 1998-2002 Seneca V or a Baron.
If he is dead set on a twin A 310 is an OK choice, if the pass. Are not prone to being airsick. Barons are nice ships as well.
I like the idea of the 300 series Cessna as well, but it looks like his guy wants something a little newer. From what I hear from guys that have flown both, the Baron appears to be about the same as a 310 in performance and handling. (I never flew a Baron). From my extensive experience flying Seneca's 135 and 91, I don't think the club seating works as well as it is advertised...but that is my opinion, and when you look at what is out there now days as recent Seneca's and Barons, I don't think you have much choice in the matter...because I believe they all come with club seating now.

:( sad thing about the 300 series Cessnas is they seem to be continiously under seige with some serious ADs. Like the turbocharged Cessna exhaust AD and the most recent wing spar AD that appears to be on hold.

414, 421, Cheyenne III, baron, aerostar, would be my choice in that order if I were in the market for a light twin. Any of those will get the job done for what he wants to accomplish.

3 5 0

Thanks for all the input.

To answer some of your questions, my friend wants something newer because he feels maintenance costs will be lower and the airplane will be well equipped with up-to-date equipment.
He wwants to stay away from pressurized aircraft to keep maintenance costs down, and for the area we plan on flying in the pressurization won't really benefit us.

He is dead set on a twin, just for the redundancy of the second engine in the event of a failure.

Thanks again,
C425Driver

Latest resources

Back