Buying a light twin

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
350DRIVER said:
414, 421, Cheyenne III, baron, aerostar, would be my choice in that order if I were in the market for a light twin. Any of those will get the job done for what he wants to accomplish.

3 5 0

:)

3 5 0

well.. i'm guessing its cheap, little operating costs, rugged (improvised landing strips), and has good performance (to make short field operations & fly fast :))

Look at the TC 690

That would be my choice with -5's if I was recommending a turbo prop twin to someone, fast, 270 KTS, easy to fly, (hard to steer at first) economical.

warning about 400 series

I hear that a really expensive AD is coming down that covers some 400 series cessnas its like a $60,000 AD Be careful !

Aerostar 600 or 600A, low acquisition, FAST, fun to fly, relatively economical. PM me if you want info on them. I've got lots of resources.

Before deciding on which aircraft might be most suitable, you really need to decide where in the payload/range/speed/cost/runway performance trade off you fit.

Some rough impressions from the various things I've flown:

* Seating: For short trips ie ~1 hr then a bum on each seat is feasable. Not very comfortable though. Possible baggage limitations, either weight or volume. The double doors on the BAron are a godsend. Rear row pax in Barons, C310 & Seneca tend sit with their bum not far off the floor. Aztec rear row pax sit in 'proper' upright chairs *with* headroom. Like all the no-rear-door types, not as easy to get into the rear row.

I tend to think that most light a/c's true passenger load is two adults fewer than the number of seats. Certainly for longer trips. This often lets the seats be positioned to give acceptable or even comfortable leg room for the remainder.

* Range: We all know this trade off. Generally the only solution is a larger aircraft to lift the load. There are a few exceptions eg the PA23 Aztec can usually take full seats + full fuel + some baggage. Similarly the C182 in the single world.

* Speed: The cost tends to be seen in fuel burn or cabin size. The Aerostar is a nice little pocket rocket but has one of the more squeezy cabins & payload/range limits (the extended wing mod can help here, adding ~90kg for a loss of ~5-10kts TAS).

* Runway performance: How short &/or rough are the strips you expect to use? May be a minor consideration given the number of 1000m or longer airstips in the USA. Aztecs offer a good balance between short(ish) runways, speed, load, range & cabin room. Not the fastest, old, door entry a bit narrow but lifts a good load. The Britten-Norman Islander is superb at lifting a heavy load from extremely short strips (10 adults from 400m. Easily). Sucks in every other way though. The Aerostar is more for longer airstrips ie not short bush strips but, as I mentioned before, is quite quick given in its class. I like Aerostars.

* Cost: What sort of purchase & running costs are acceptable? Every type has its moneypit maintenance trap. If it's turbocharged then TBOs are reduced. Even worse if geared. If it has a wet wing then any sheetmetal work on it gets costly. If bladder tanks then they can have a life limit or need replacement due poor fueling procedures. Aerostars are hydraulic everything - flaps, gear, nosewheel steering so that system is significant for them. C400s have a spar AD looming. C310s may also be affected by this. Aztecs may not have been modded for the 2nd hydraulic pump. *Highly* desirable mod for these. They're also a 'hydraulic' aircraft w.r.t. gear & flap. Gets expensive if the gear blow down emergency extension has to be used. Beech have a reputations for more expensive parts.

Be interesting to see what the person finally decides is suitable.

Last edited:
Twin Comanche

How about a Twin Comanche?

Affordable to buy vs. the aircraft quoted.
Cheap to maintain (everything is simple and parts are readily available and still used in newer Piper aircraft)
165kts @ 16gph
Can seat 4 + luggage comfortably
Range can be upto 1,100SM

I just bought one a few months ago. I love it.

Latest resources

Back