Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Business Week: Double Digit Inflation in 2009 (bye bye more jobs)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's all hubris. Our people and our elected officials are like a bunch of stumbling drunks that will never admit to destructive behavior until we have reached rock bottom. The old expression, "I can handle it," keeps echoing down the halls of Congress.

Someone asked earlier why don't we raise interest rates right now? It's because the financial system is in such poor shape from the subprime mess, that the Fed is trying to give the banks breathing room so that they can stop the hemmhorging. The problem is when you plug one leak, another just pops open. What we need is for a recession to just unfold. Our expenses are so damn high, we keep artificially propping the financial system up, hoping to keep the dream alive for another year.

Why are the Russians being as bold as they are? Because they know they have Europe by the sac with oil. Most of Europe (NATO), would never dare be adversarial for fear of Russia closing the oil spickett. It also wouldn't surprise me if Russia just went into Georgia and annexed it back, for the sole purpose of controling the 2nd largest oil pipeline in the world. Also, they don't fear the US military as they have in the past. Our fighting machine is tired and too broken down to offer any longterm serious resistance in Georgia.

We are a paper tiger and it's going to take years and lots of eating of humble pie before we get it turned around. Will we do it? Yeah, we always do it.....but we are going to be living with lots of pain in the next 3- 7 years.

:pimp:

Last edited:

We are a paper tiger and it's going to take years and lots of eating of humble pie before we get it turned around. Will we do it? Yeah, we always do it.....but we are going to be living with lots of pain in the next 3- 7 years.

:pimp:

I agree with a lot of what you said but I am not so sure we are a paper tiger. Didn't we jump into WWII during a depression? The problem with the current war and why there is no draft, war bonds and rations is this is a divisive war and the politicians are walking a fine line to get it to a satisfactory conclusion. I am not saying we are in any shape for a major war but I don't think I am on board with calling the US a paper tiger.

Too bad nobody is funding the current wars...let alone the future ones.

If we were REALLY serious about this, as a country, there would be gasoline and metal rationing, war bonds, etc. Genuine shared sacrifice. Can't be having that though - God forbid we temporarily sacrifice our quality of living toward a common goal!

Collectively, as a country we're all too busy watching "The Soup" on E! to pay attention to what's actually going on...

Oh, somebody is funding the current wars, they're also hosting the Summer Olympics this year. The U.S.'s second biggest creditor is a Communist nation. Better hope they don't stop lending us money.

Asking personal sacrifice from your constituents requires leadership, of which there has been little. Allowing the value of the dollar to fall 35% in six years is a much more subtle way to require personal sacrifice of the masses.

As for the Democrat/Republican arguements here, I will be successful no matter who is elected.

I'll also be happy to have a president who can speak English. It's been some time since we've had one who meets that most basic of job requirements.

It'd also be nice to have a president who doesn't cater soley to the Christian extremists in this country.

Maybe we just aren't hungry anymore.

The above statement is exactly what is wrong with our nation, and explains why we have lost control of our government. We Americans are so far detached from the basic needs of life. After all the economic woes that have hit our nation, and my socio-economic class, I still have food on the table AND in the pantry. I can afford to go buy more, and when I get to the store, more will be waiting to be bought. We are comfortable overall. Ever talk to your grandparents who lived through the depression? We are nowhere near that level.

Until our lives and those of our family truly hang in the balance of political decisions, we will never put the screws to our elected leaders in a way that asserts our fundamental role in this democracy. It is a shame we will have to fall so far to regain our control, but it can be done. We rule by popular vote. As long as the majority of us are fed, warm, and healthy, there will be no momentum for change.

So, until dung hits the rotating cooling device, we are stuck with our long-winded senators and impotent presidents. In the mean time, make sure you brush up on basic skills like raising a garden, practical woodworking, and cooking from basic ingredients. Know how to live when the luxuries of ready-made disappear along with your financial ability to contract out your basic home repairs. And never give up your second amendment rights...that may be the last chance we have one day for taking our government back.

Basic gardening? You mean without tons of petro-chemical fertilizer and genetically altered corn being force-fed to cattle (who were never designed to eat corn!), injected with massive amounts of anti-biotics to permit their digestive tracts to handle it?

ALL so ADM, Cargill, Monsanto, etc. can make billions of dollars? (And then distribute some of it to the Congress-whores who make the legislation that inhibits organic farmers from expanding and protects big agribusiness...)

What a concept...

Read "Omnivore's Dilemma". It will scare you worse than any Stephen King novel. TC

Hey TC,

I can reload 30-06 for about $0.50 per shot...for $10 I can feed my wife and I venison for a year. You want some? If so, bring bourbon.

Boiler--I live across the street from Eagle Creek Park. You can't spit without hitting a deer.

However, since I'm staring at a sea of 'future corn mash' out my back door, I'll bring the booze. :D

My 10 year old wants to learn to deer hunt so he'll provide the meat for the family. TC

Only in our spoiled modern society can a comment like that be made, and be made seriously.

Our country will be much better off when the economy isn't reliant on Joe Q. Citizen spending money he doesn't have, and going tens of thousands into debt, to maintain an inflated quality of living.

God help us if we REALLY get into a genuine "crisis" in this country...

+1

Only the people who over bought a lifestyle have a crisis.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back